• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 35-2 broken strut

tchiffriller

Dove down to clean prop and found the strut broken right at the cutlass bearing, I'm looking for the fastest most cost effective repair, thinking about possibly glassing the cutlass bearing to the existing strut or ordering a new one and glassing it in or if anyone has any leads on where to buy one that would be awesome. Here are some pics appreciate the suggestions!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 335
Broken Strut

Dove down to clean prop and found the strut broken right at the cutlass bearing, I'm looking for the fastest most cost effective repair, thinking about possibly glassing the cutlass bearing to the existing strut or ordering a new one and glassing it in or if anyone has any leads on where to buy one that would be awesome. Here are some pics appreciate the suggestions!
attachment.php
attachment.php
my strut broke off at the hull...I had a custom SS strut made by a company in Sarasota. The angles have to be near perfect. It was made to bolt to the hull with a plate and 4 bolts. in your case you might find a welder who can braze it back together. hell have to remove the cutlass before brazing and then replace cutlass. It is discussed under broken strut forum or blogs. Good luck..that's a pain in the butt problem. I feel you pain..Al

tenders

Innocent Bystander
One of those links, Marine Hardware, looks VERY promising.

http://www.marinehardware.com/

This thread and the link to the other thread sent me down the rabbit hole of Glyn Judson and, eventually, his seeing-eye-dog training sideline. Apparently keeping track of Ericson 31 owners is not the full-time job I had thought it was.

Quite possibly the Most Interesting Man in the World.

Good luck and please keep us posted with this repair - I've often stared at mine and wondered (1) how long it was designed to last and (2) how the heck something like that gets replaced. Getting the old one off = a hassle. Finding a new one = a hassle. Installing the new one = a hassle. Aligning it to the shaft = a total hassle. So we're up to (hassle)^3 * (total hassle), which is pretty bad.

rpm

Member II
If it were me

One of those links, Marine Hardware, looks VERY promising.

http://www.marinehardware.com/

This thread and the link to the other thread sent me down the rabbit hole of Glyn Judson and, eventually, his seeing-eye-dog training sideline. Apparently keeping track of Ericson 31 owners is not the full-time job I had thought it was.

Quite possibly the Most Interesting Man in the World.

Good luck and please keep us posted with this repair - I've often stared at mine and wondered (1) how long it was designed to last and (2) how the heck something like that gets replaced. Getting the old one off = a hassle. Finding a new one = a hassle. Installing the new one = a hassle. Aligning it to the shaft = a total hassle. So we're up to (hassle)^3 * (total hassle), which is pretty bad.

Get thee to a machine shop. Encase the bearing within a " donut" shaft with brackets to attach onto the strut.

tchiffriller

That's a great idea to pull the strut and get a donut attached to the existing strut by bracket, just using bolts or welded as well?

also what are the dangers of running it as is?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Don't run it as is! The unsupported propeller and shaft will flop around and risk lots of damage, possibly hitting the hull itself. The strut serves an important stabilizing function.
Frank