• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 32-3 First Boat

grovechurchill

Hey Everyone,

Been looking to buy for years finally found a little '88 Ericson 32-3 that's in mediocre shape and I just wanted some advice. Everyone says to make your first boat not a project boat and I'm trying to determine if this counts: she's listed mid 20s and I'm getting her for 18.5K. She's pretty minimal- has a handsome teak and holly interior, but she obviously hasn't been used much recently. Survey says small Catalina smile which scares me, she needs a coat of paint, a heavy clean, and all port lights need replacing (cracked lexan and leaking around the bedding, wood around the port lights needs refinishing) and on top of it all there are minor blisters and what appears to be a small hole where the mast goes through the deck thats been taped over - surveyor didn't note I just saw it on third visit today. I haven't taken her out yet for test sail to look at sail condition. Lines look ok - may need to be replaced. Life lines definitely do.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My question is this: should I buy this boat? I just need something to get my sea legs - start making trips to the channel islands, catalina, san diego and santa barbara. This is for a week or coastal cruising trips tops. I don't particularly like Catalinas, but I found one listed at 22.5K thats in pretty sweet condition replete with paddle boards and snorkling gear, dodger, all the canvas covers you could ever want - should I just get that instead. Or should I wait around for that perfect ericson?
[/FONT]
I don't have pictures of the problems with the boat, but if you want to see her listing pictures she can be found here: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/Ericson-32-3-2962749/San-Pedro/CA/United-States#.V-cAgGWFhpo

Thanks guys!

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Hey Everyone,

Been looking to buy for years finally found a little '88 Ericson 32-3 that's in mediocre shape and I just wanted some advice. Everyone says to make your first boat not a project boat and I'm trying to determine if this counts: she's listed mid 20s and I'm getting her for 18.5K. She's pretty minimal- has a handsome teak and holly interior, but she obviously hasn't been used much recently. Survey says small Catalina smile which scares me, she needs a coat of paint, a heavy clean, and all port lights need replacing (cracked lexan and leaking around the bedding, wood around the port lights needs refinishing) and on top of it all there are minor blisters and what appears to be a small hole where the mast goes through the deck thats been taped over - surveyor didn't note I just saw it on third visit today. I haven't taken her out yet for test sail to look at sail condition. Lines look ok - may need to be replaced. Life lines definitely do.

My question is this: should I buy this boat? I just need something to get my sea legs - start making trips to the channel islands, catalina, san diego and santa barbara. This is for a week or coastal cruising trips tops. I don't particularly like Catalinas, but I found one listed at 22.5K thats in pretty sweet condition replete with paddle boards and snorkling gear, dodger, all the canvas covers you could ever want - should I just get that instead. Or should I wait around for that perfect ericson?

I don't have pictures of the problems with the boat, but if you want to see her listing pictures she can be found here: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/Ericson-32-3-2962749/San-Pedro/CA/United-States#.V-cAgGWFhpo

Thanks guys!
Granting that boats always seem to look better in photos than they do in person, this one doesn't look half bad to me, and $18.5K seems like an excellent price.

As Christian asked, why would you want to paint it? The gelcoat looks fine (again, based on the photos), and a good buff and wax should shine it up nicely.

I guess I'd want more clarity on the "smile" issue to make sure you are not getting yourself into a big mess with the keel bolts. Also, make darn sure that the surveyor has carefully checked for soft spots in the deck. Have him look at that taped over hole to make sure that there has not been any long-term water ingress that may have compromised the deck core.

kari

Member III
I agree with Alan . . . if the photo's are reasonably representative I think it's a great price for that boat . . .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Puzzled. What is the different between your boat and this one, a mile away?

The 18,500 price suggests a very big difference (figure the other boat will go for $30K).

If there isn't a very very big differnence, well--the 32-3 is a great boat.

1989 Ericson 32 200[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
US$35,000
San Pedro, CA, United States[/FONT]​

grovechurchill

I do indeed mean bottom paint. The rest is pretty faded but I think buff/wax will clean her up nicely. Not sure on the difference with the other boat - the listing states she needs some work which puzzled me why she was listed so much higher. She's a 1988 and her sails look ok, not great but not awful. Every single port light is crazed. Deck seems good but going to call surveyor to double check his take on that and hole in mast. Looking at the keelboats they seemed fine.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Permit me to say you need to look at that other boat. You need to look at a dozen boats before buying anything.

Blitzie

Looks clean

The price sounds great, but I agree with Christian. I was a professional shopper for a long time before I bought my Ericson and absolutely love it.

Brian.....
1987 e34