• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

30+ Tender Storage

The Molly Ann

Member I
Interested to see if anyone out here has a 30+ with a tender? Looking for inspiration on where to store it! Seems like the most logical place is on the foredeck rolled up. I would like a foldable RIB with a little 6hp motor but lifting this stuff over the lifelines seems a little daunting.

Been waiting a little over a year for a slip in Dana Point CA and just got the bump up! Will be sailing up from San Diego in the next couple of weekend then time to start really working on the boat! Catalina and so on before winter and I would love to bring a little tender!

Glyn Judson

Tender storage.

Dear friend, We typically tow our hard bottom West Marine Hypalon inflatable when making passage to Catalina, considering it our Plan B option of you get my drift. For long term seasonal stowage, we keep it athwart on the lifelines forward and use our spare halyard to do the grunt work getting it up there. I know this still probably doesn't get to the point of your question so I'm attaching an image of my wife Marilyn's first single handed passage to the island back in 1994 shown with our old Avon Redcrest on the foredeck. That might well be the way you too could locate your RIB. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Mare & Egret 1st single handing.jpg
    Mare & Egret 1st single handing.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 192

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
After much thought and discussion, we now have an 8 foot fibreglass Walker Bay dinghy and 2.5 hp motor for our 1984 E30+.
The motor is mounted on the stern rail/pushpit, and we tow the dinghy when we cruise, but not for day sails. We lose a half knot towing the dinghy.
In my opinion there is not enough room on the foredeck to store it if you also want to sail. A dinghy can be stored there while the boat is docked, but it's hard on the lifelines and stanchions to manoeuvre it there, even using a halyard to raise it.
I'll be interested in what others think on this.
Frank

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Lowering the motor.

Dear friend, I don't know if you wanted Frank or me to answer your last question so I'll jump in. Today we use a Garhauer lifting hoist to safely lower and retrieve our Honda 2, but back then we simply tied a safety line to the Honda 2 and with one of us in the cockpit and the other in the dinghy, lowered it down and pulled it back up. Glyn Judson

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Our dinghy motor is an older 2 stroke, still runs well and only weighs about 25 lbs. Although I'm 65 and only 5'8" I can easily lift it off the rail and carefully lower it into the dinghy. I make sure the dinghy is tied tightly at bow and stern to keep it stable while doing this. The motor can stay on the dinghy in moderate waves but I'll have it back on the rail if waves are more than one to two feet.
Frank