• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pictures of 32-3 Quarterberth Access Panel Wanted

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm looking for photos of how the front end of the quarterberth engine access panel fits together with the engine cover on the 32-3. I think most of these boats have the full length removable quarterberth panel,which I am considering duplicating in my 30+. Or if other models have a similar arrangement photos of those would be great. Thanks!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That long slide-in panel is hidden by the engine box when the box is in place.

It's four or five feet long, and has to be inserted pretty much in a straight line--meaning you need a clear shot to line it up.

It is held in place like a sliding cabinet door, with a long batten to guide it top and bottom.

It does do a good job against engine sound, since it fits snugly once in. And out, it provides wonderful access to engine, transmission and stuffing box--which I wish I had on the E38.

Hard to find one good picture. My guess is it's 3/8ths-inch plywood. A current 32-3 owner could verify.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Balmar front - Copy.jpg
    Balmar front - Copy.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 338
  • Thelonious Balmar 100amp alt side .jpg
    Thelonious Balmar 100amp alt side .jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 337
  • 1-Balmar external regulator2.JPG
    1-Balmar external regulator2.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 335

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Christian, those are helpful. I'm not sure I will be able to do that same setup because of the weird gap in the liner at the base. It will be great to get that entire panel out of there. That would give me access to the entire starboard side of the engine. I'm just not sure I will be able to make one piece and have it easily removable. I plan to cut this panel out one way or another this weekend.

I have managed to get almost all the head hoses and equipment out and have removed the hot water heater from over the fuel tank in my quest to get at and replace all the nylon thru hulls, frozen Marelon valves and ancient hoses that are conspiring to try to sink the boat. Unfortunately, I may yet need to pull the motor to reach the port cockpit scupper/sink drain thru hull, since access is so tight in there. Hopefully when I get the fuel tank out I will be able to reach it with both hands.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Qaurterberth-Engine Cover.jpg
    Qaurterberth-Engine Cover.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 315
  • Quarterberth Bulkhead.jpg
    Quarterberth Bulkhead.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 326

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Crowded part of the boat!

There is a 30+ for sale now on YachtWorld and I found this engine compartment picture.
Is this picture accurate? And where is the area you need to access? Further toward the stern?
(Probably just me, but it's difficult to visualize.)
:confused:
Thanks much.
Loren

Attachments

• E-30+ engine.jpg
    E-30+ engine.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 298

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yup, that is basically the same layout. You can see end of the small white filler piece (with a screw in it) on the floor of the quarterberth. This has been removed in the first photo in my last post. The vertical panel/bulkhead that you see the end of in the photo of the sister ship (left of the air filter and the fuel filter is bolted on to it) is what I am planning on making removable. It is just hanging there and is not structural, at least on the front 3/4 of it. This will allow access to the fuel tank and the aft end of the engine, and most importantly the transmission to change the fluid. The access to the port side of the engine is blocked by the icebox and the structure supporting the sink. I am going to figure out a new easier-to-access location for the fuel pump and filter.

My challenge is how to get the new removable piece to match up to the removable engine cover and still make a tight seal, as can be seen in the second photo of my last post.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I cut out the quarterberth panel today. What a difference. Full access to the entire aft end. 1000 times better than before!

Preparing to cut. Straightedge screwed into panel
attachment.php

Tons of room!
attachment.php

Front end.
attachment.php

Cutout panel.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Open Space 2.jpg
    Open Space 2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 304
  • Open Space.jpg
    Open Space.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 321
  • Preparing to Cut.jpg
    Preparing to Cut.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Quarterberth Panel.jpg
    Quarterberth Panel.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 289

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Gotta love a guy who takes a skilsaw to his new toy <grin> Hi, Doug!

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Bruce! 5 minute of destruction = 10 hours of reconstruction. The reconstruction deficit is growing by leaps and bounds.:esad:

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Last year I replaced a neglected 33 year old Universal engine with a 5 year old right out of the crate Nanni 3.75HE.
The Nanni is much smaller height wise, but the engine configuration width wise makes is difficult to check the oil.

"Constructing" a side panel with upper slide is a great idea that will remedy the tight fit.
mjs