• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Boom end for E32-2

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I see somebody bought the swaging tool!

I'm trying to decide whether I should admire or despise your fistlike knots that have been substituted where most of us might tie bowlines. They don't look accidental!

Christian has a good point about the outhaul. I adjust mine once a year: when the sail is bent on for the first time after launch.

photobug

Member II
That was my belief also, about the outback until yesterday.

I was over canvases and undercooked. Settings I thought were tight looked loose at 30 knots which is what someone told me the wind reached briefly yesterday. I was getting severely beaten up. I was sure if I was able to tighten the outhaul everything would have been under control. :rolleyes:

Reefing was not an option because those lines had worn out. Today's project was adding Reefing apparatus for and aft. I had fallen prey to the myth that it was always sunny and beautiful and the wind never exceeded 12 knots.

photobug

Member II
I'm trying to decide whether I should admire or despise your fistlike knots that have been substituted where most of us might tie bowlines. They don't look accidental!

Yesterday was my halyard hitch day. I generally use bowlines. I do like the halyard hitch for halyards. It looks cleaner and compact. I am not sure I like it on the attachment to the wire loop on the outhaul.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Photo,

Now we're talkin'. Each reef line acts as an outhaul, and unlike the main outhaul does need a means of making it absolutely bar tight. You can lead the reef lines back to the cockpit, to get them on winches. Or you can put winch on the boom near the gooseneck. Or you can use temporary block and tackle on the boom to a cleat on the boom.

Slab reefing flattens the sail, but force is required and it will put quite a lot of strain on the outboard boom connection, which must be strong.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I see somebody bought the swaging tool!

Christian has a good point about the outhaul. I adjust mine once a year: when the sail is bent on for the first time after launch.
I'll take a bit of a contrary tack here. I think the outhaul is an important sail shaping control. It can play a helpful role in keeping the boat on its feet in conditions that are not quite ready for reefing, as well as in lighter conditions where a fuller shape is advantageous. I do not regard this as a "set it and forget it" type of control.

On my E26, with a loose footed main, I have plenty of power for tightening the foot. The only problem in my setup is that the control is inconveniently located at the front of the boom, which makes me less likely to tweak it when I'm feeling lazy. One of the projects on my "to do" list when I get some time is to redo certain of the control lines to bring them back to the cockpit. The outhaul is one and the topping lift is another. (The topping lift is less critical to run back to the cockpit I think, but on a previous boat I had it that way and liked the convenience.)

photobug

Member II
I enjoy the suggestions for proper rigging but my boat is pretty much done for now. The boat is owned by a group of boaters and has been for years. Nothing has been upgraded in it's 40 years, and the boat has been neglected for probably 10, before I took over, while still be frequently used. Based on it's condition the boat is strictly a daysailor and marina condo. I am slowly fixing things and improving systems but am ready to move on to my own boat soon, so I can own all my sweat equity. The boat now has a working topping lift, outhaul and reefing line. Next I need to figure out how to get the water pump to stop leaking and the engine to go into reverse.