• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rudder stop

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Anodyne know where I can get a rudder stop for an Ericson 32-3 1987 boat? Bent mine today in a freak rudder incident. Long story that I will tell here. I was also considering bending it back to the shape it was or actually as close as I can get it but not sure how yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 289

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
There has to be a fabricator in Annapolis that can bend that for you without breaking it. In Rock Hall I always think if I screw something up "at least Annapolis isn't too far away".

Last edited:

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Two different opinions

Found a custom metal shop in the marine services complex near my marine (Port Annapolis off Bembe Beach Rd for all of you who know there's) and they offered to make a new stop out of SS for $400. (YIKES!) Even the guy who helped me, who was very nice said, "Yep, it's expensive." Told him I'd think about it. So then I took the part to the service desk at my marina, Port Annapolis, and the service manager felt confident that he could straighten it out to the point were it could be used by heating the aluminum casting us slowly while bending it little by little, in steps, so that it wouldn't crack. I'd figure I'd give him a crack at it. If that doesn't work I think I can by some aluminum angle, match the two mounting holes and the other half of the angle would act as a stop. I could even wrap it in rubber and secure with two hose clamps. This way i can offset where the stop hits the other stops bolted into the bottom of the deck. We'll see.

Maybe this post should now be moved to the mechanical forum? I don't think I can do that on my end.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd probably just bolt it back on and lash the other side with wire. One bolt will do the job.

You could also fashion a sturdy block of oak and bolt it there as the stop.

I would certainly not spend any money on it.

Loren has a block of wood (see below). Other systems have restraining chains on the quadrant.

Lots of methods work.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• E32-3 upper rudder post bearing .jpg
    E32-3 upper rudder post bearing .jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Loren's O34 rudder post gland.jpg
    Loren's O34 rudder post gland.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 286

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I'd probably just bolt it back on and lash the other side with wire. One bolt will do the job.

You could also fashion a sturdy block of oak and bolt it there as the stop.

I would certainly not spend any money on it.

Loren has a block of wood (see below). Other systems have restraining chains on the quadrant.

Lots of methods work.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Yes Christian, that might even be a better solution because on my boat the center of the stop doesn't line up with the center of the angle stops where the angle is reinforced with gussets on the opposite side. So this allowed the stop to slip around the angle which was already bent a bit and was helped by the rubber bumper spinning on the stop as it passed the angle bracket. It really needs to have the post moved about 1.5" closed to the center of the quadrant or, as you say, attach an oak block that extends more towards the center.

I'm going to post my story here in the next few days so that other owners won't fall into the freak accident that lead to my mishap but duty calls for now and the story will have to wait.