Looking to Buy an E28

Phil

I've been searching for another boat to buy for a while now and have come across a 1987 E28. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the capability of this particular year and model? I know it's a very open ended Q. In particular, Is the keel encapsulated and is this a characteristic of all years and models? Is it prone to blisters more than another? Is it as safe as most or less? I can go on and on, so any thoughts, insights or "other" will be helpful.

thanks in advance
Phil S
pestitch@msn.com

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Could it be this one?
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Ericson-28-2995682/REDONDO-BEACH/CA/United-States#.V8GlQRSBCRM

Since this model is available with deep fin or wing keel, I would guess that like the other 80's Ericson's it has an external lead keel.

Looks very clean in the pictures, but only a personal visit will really tell the tale. That, and a good survey.
The stated engine hours are extremely low, and that's generally a very good thing. Hopefully the oil(s) were changed annually.

Loren

Last edited:

Phil

Yep That's it.

Hi Loren,
Yeah, that's the boat. I took a look yesterday. It has the bolted on lead keel. The encapsulated keel was a big draw for me.

Thanks for taking a look.

Phil

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Loren,
Yeah, that's the boat. I took a look yesterday. It has the bolted on lead keel. The encapsulated keel was a big draw for me.

Thanks for taking a look.

Phil

Why are you drawn to an encapsulated keel?

Loren

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner