• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Buying a used E26

Raul Aranovich

Hi. I may be buying a used E26. It is a 1980 model, with a OB motor. Any advice on what to look for in terms of maintenance, upgrades, etc? I will be sailing in the San Francisco bay.

-RA

rssailor

Advice on used ericson 26

Are you sure it is a 26 and not a 25+? I do not think that Ericson made the improvements to make the 25+ the 26 until 83 or there abouts. Look out for cracking under the main bulkhead and check the rudder carefully for cracks. Also make sure the mast base has a internal sleeve to reinforce it. Let me know if you have more questions as I have a 79 25+ that I have owned for seven years. Ryan

Raul Aranovich

Thanks. I will check for that. I have been wondering what the difference is between the 25+, the 26 (I believe there are an old and a new version of it) and the 27.

rssailor

Differences 25+,26 and 27

The 27's were built in the late sixties or early seventies and had a completley different underbody with a keel and rudder similar to a Catalina 27. The rig on a 27 is masthead and somewhat short for the boat in my opinion. Good boats and the interior layout is very similar to the newer 25+/26. The biggest difference between a 26 and the 25+ is the force grid that ericson installed to handle the enormous loads the boat is under. Also the newer 26 has 200 lbs more ballast in the keel than the 25+. There are differences in the deck layout like a hatch behind the mast on the 26 that is not on the 25+. If you can look for a 26, but they will cost more than any 25+. The 25+ is a very good boat, but the 26 is better as it is a refined boat where ericson learned from a few mistakes. Ryan

Raul Aranovich

Thanks again. I just saw the boat, and it is a 25+. The boat was somewhat neglected, though. In particular, it seems to suffer from a bad leak through the cabin windows. The plywood on the inner sides of the cabin are rotten, and I also suspect that the deck has started to delaminate. Any idea whether this is a common problem with 25+/26? What type of work would it require to fix this?

The boat had its mane changed. The old name was "high interest". I guess a bnaker must have been the first owner, or a junk-bond king...

rssailor

Leaks

The deck should not delam as it is glassed on both sides unless the double stanchions by the gate leaked real bad. Mine leaked and ruined the headliner which I tore out and resealed. I had leakage problems with my windows as well and it is not hard to fix. The wood veneer that the windows are screwed into would be not a hugley difficult job to replace for someone that is somewhat handy. Where is this boat you are looking at? Mine lives in Alameda. Ryan

Raul Aranovich

Hi, Ryan. Been away from mail for a long time. The E26 is in Vallejo, but as I was looking at it the woman that was selling it got disinterested, and she just pointed me to another boat for sale at the Yacht Club. I think she was more attached to the boat than she thought.

I am still looking for a boat. I put money down on a great opportunity I saw on Craigs list: a boat that was being donated to the Breast Cancer Emergency Fund (a US Yachts 25), but the donor changed his mind when he realized he could get more money for the boat. Charming, isn't it? I am going to Oakland to get my money back tomorrow...

If you know of any yachts for sale, let me know. I am also a good deck hand, if you are looking for someone to go sailing with. I teach at UC Davis.

-Raul

rssailor

Boat

Raul,
Keep looking for a 26 as it is one of the best boats in its size range. Ericson 27's are good as well as Cal 25 MK II's. Contact me through my regular email and I will get your info and see if we can hook up for a sail at some point in the future. Rssailor@yahoo.com. Ryan