• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

dripless shaft

trenton

Member I
Hello all. I will try this again a little different way. The prop shaft goes thru an element built into the hull on the interior of the boat. I am needing to know the diameter of the outside of this "stern tube" so I can order the bellows for the dripless shaft on an E38-200. Unfortunatlly the boat is in Mexico right now so I am unable to measure this. If one of you who are close to your boat would measure this, and let me know, I would sure appreciate it.

Our boat is the E38-200 with the engine under the galley, but I would guess that they are pretty standard size.
thanks in advance
Trenton

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I think we know what you mean. I'll be home Friday and I'll try to find my notes from 2009 when I replaced mine. I recall there was about 1/8" clearance around shaft, with about 1/4" wall thickness for a total O.D. of about 1-3/4". It may be a bit thicker, even. Keep mind I have a 1980 with the under steps location. But I have a 1" shaft.

Are you sure you need to replace it? My bellows looked bad but after wrecking it taking it off, it was actually fine. Salt can collect around the end of the carbon fitting and look really bad, but if you clean that off, it works and looks fine. Anyway, give me a day or two to find my notes or receipt.

trenton

Member I
thanks Craig. We just bought Encore (previously Surface Charge) last year. Since we do not know the age of the bellows and I read that it should be replaced every 6 years, I thought it would be wise to go ahead and spring for it. Often sailing 100 miles or so from any port, the idea of it failing out there does not seem to attractive. Thanks again for trying to help
trenton

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I think we know what you mean. I'll be home Friday and I'll try to find my notes from 2009 when I replaced mine. I recall there was about 1/8" clearance around shaft, with about 1/4" wall thickness for a total O.D. of about 1-3/4". It may be a bit thicker, even. Keep mind I have a 1980 with the under steps location. But I have a 1" shaft.

Are you sure you need to replace it? My bellows looked bad but after wrecking it taking it off, it was actually fine. Salt can collect around the end of the carbon fitting and look really bad, but if you clean that off, it works and looks fine. Anyway, give me a day or two to find my notes or receipt.

Well, it's Friday. I have looked through all the information I can find from the 2008-09 layup when I replaced the entire PSS assembly. I can't find a record of a stern tube measurement or a receipt or order form. I think I bought the 1-3/4" to 1-7/8" diameter stern tube model. I wish I could be sure, but I can't, sorry. Edit: I may have even bought the next smaller one, that was for 1-1/2" to 1-5/8", if the stern tube was under 1-3/4".

Depending on the age of the PSS unit, the new rubber bellows may be a little thicker than the one you are taking off. If there is excess resin under the stern tube on the inside, as was the case with mine, you might have to carefully sand or grind it away to get the new bellows to fit. Not a fun job given the access.

I have been very happy with my PSS performance.

Last edited:

trenton

Member I
thanks for trying Craig. Is it possible for anyone to try to measure the fiberglass tube where the prop shaft goes out of the hull on the inside of the boat. this is the measurement I need and as I said, the our boat is 900 miles away right now
thanks again Craig
trenton