• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1984 E28+ Convert mast step to tabernacle

Phil Rushing

Member II
I have my eye on a BEAUTIFUL 1984 E28+. This boat is so pretty it makes my mouth water. Priced right, too. I mean, this is definitely my dream boat! My dilemma is, I must be able to get under a bridge on a regular basis. The bridge clearance ranges from 32' to 38' depending upon the tide. I believe this particular Ericson has an approximate mast height from the water of 38' . Bottom line: I need to convert to a tabernacle mast that can be EASILY raised/lowered. Is this relatively easy to do? Is there a kit? Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Excuse me if this topic has been covered in previous threads, but my preliminary search didn't help much.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Taller

The 28+ mast itself is 39 ft. long. Add another 5 feet for bridge clearance. I have a hinged mast step but it wouldn't work for what you want to do.

Phil Rushing

Member II
When I approximated the length of the mast, I forgot this boat has a fractional rig with a taller mast. Al, why won't a hinged mast on this boat work for my purposes?

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Phil,

Tabernacling your mast is certainly doable. I had to tabernacle my E27 mast while I got it. The E28+ will most likely need an electric winch to pull the mast back up which adds to the complexity of the system. Ballenger Spars has the rigging parts you will need and a rigger will be able to modify/make new cap shrouds. Is there a furler on the boat?

Attachments

• tabernacle.jpg
    tabernacle.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 115
  • tab1.jpg
    tab1.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 80
  • mast downsm.JPG
    mast downsm.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 95

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Phil,
I raise and lower the mast on my E-26 mkIII at the beginning and end of every season. (34' mast) I have a really good system that has been perfected over the many years I have had my boat. I have even done it by my self a few times. Having said that... If I had to lower and then raise my mast even once each time I wanted to sail I would sell the boat. It is not worth it. We're talking about re tuning your rig, removing sails and boom, re-running all lines ect, it would take me hours of hard exhausting work both up and down. Id rather drive four hours and pay a higher slip fee but be able to actually sail.
Its not a Hobie cat or a McGreggor 26x, (I have raised mast on both of them as well) and they are not in the same category. kind of like the difference between a walk to the neighborhood park and a trek across the Kimberly. My experienced advice is keep it somewhere else or get a smaller boat.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Would not recommend it

I agree with Shelman. I also raise and lower my 28's mast every season to trailer the boat. The setup and breakdown take a significant amount of time. As I age it also becomes more stressful and physically exhausting even with a lot of mechanical advantage and safety precautions. Trying to lower the mast on the fly to pass under a bridge is going to require some serious engineering aside from the re-rigging and tuning aspects. There is nothing that can't be overcome with the application of sufficient funding. But is it worth it? I had Ballenger build my hinged mast step and he was of the opinion that he wouldn't recommend building one for a mast taller than 40'. Just too many things that can go wrong. I used a modification of a system developed by Danny Klacko of Klacko Spars out of Oakville, Ont. CA. I built my system using some of Klacko's components and some of my own. I drop my mast to the stern where I designed a roller support so I can handle the weight by myself. I'll post a couple of photos when I get a chance to resize them.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't mean to be a wiseguy (honest) but wouldn't it be easier and possibly cheaper to drive your car to the other side of the bridge?

I agree about the hassle factor and I think such a mod would also impact resale value.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Shelman, Al and Christian,

Tabernacling the mast is not pulling the mast. The engineering has been done, I've seen 4 different E35-2's with tabernacled masts. Every sailboat (100's?) in the Santa Cruz Upper Harbor is tabernacled and drops/raises the mast twice a day when going out. A (properly) tabernacled mast here is a resale plus even if you don't need it. That said, I'm glad I don't have to tabernacle the mast anymore :)

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You guys are being pretty harsh, there are several very salty harbors where boats much bigger than the E28+ regularly lower their masts to fit under bridges. Perth, Australia, is one example, where the venerable Royal Perth Yacht Club is several miles up the Swan River from the open ocean; Santa Cruz, I learned from the link below, is another; and when I was shopping for boats long ago I'm sure I saw an E27 somewhere in the LA area that had been fitted to do this too, but I don't recall the harbor.

The most critical components are a beefy block system or winch to keep the mast from falling down fore or aft, and some kind of restraining shrouds or hardware to keep the mast from yawing around the pivot point and wrenching out the tabernacle. Pitching the mast forward is likely to create bendy complications with roller furling, but pitching the mast back may not.

Interesting discussion from people with a lot more knowledge on this topic than I:
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/mast-raising-lowering-systems-38193.html

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
What about supporting the end of the boom with the main halyard, then affixing a heavy weight to the boom end and swing it out abeam. The boat will heel and you can motor under the bridge. It may be as simple as two buckets full of water. When the buckets are swung out at the end of the boom there's a lot of leverage to pull the mast over and heel the boat.

Disclaimer: proceed with caution and check the clearance, Clarence!

Phil Rushing

Member II
I've now done a 180 and I'm with Christian on this. I'll do one of two things: ) stay where I am with good friends and sail my little E23 until it dies, or 2) Buy that 28-2 and move to another marina. I was not aware of the complexities of a tabernacle rig. knowing what I have learned from you guys, I feel a tabernacle conversion would be an adulteration of the original rig I would not be willing to perform (unless I went with the two buckets of water hanging from the end of the boom idea :) . Such an alteration should be reserved for situations with no alternative, i.e. Santa Cruz, etc. I would also be in a position where I would have to raise and lower the mast each time I went out. I mostly single hand, and I would rather not have the hassle. Thanks again everyone. This forum is a wealth of information!

dt222

Member III
Heel under bridges

What about supporting the end of the boom with the main halyard, then affixing a heavy weight to the boom end and swing it out abeam. The boat will heel and you can motor under the bridge. It may be as simple as two buckets full of water. When the buckets are swung out at the end of the boom there's a lot of leverage to pull the mast over and heel the boat.

Disclaimer: proceed with caution and check the clearance, Clarence!

Here is a video of what Keith is talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiv0fxFcV3I