• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 Sailing to Windward--Uncut Video

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I posted this to vimeo, where I back up file video:

https://vimeo.com/179701086

Only of interest for boat characteristics or rig/gear comparisons--or maybe viewing on some rainy night in winter when it's -10 outside.

No self steering yet, but the boat kept its own course easily. Might have used a bit more halyard tension on the genoa, and the leads moved forward a few inches.

PDX

Member III
Thanks for posting this video. I enjoyed it.

TWS low teens?

How big is the headsail? Hard to tell from the camera angles but it appeared to overlap the spreaders a little at least. Yet the main did not appear to be backwinded at all, even with the narrow slot (or so it appeared from the camera angle).

I was very impressed with how directionally stable the boat was with the way you had the rig/trim set up.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Steady 15 knots. Waves 2-3 feet.

120 high-clew Dacron genoa. Full battened Dacron main.

Yes, sailed to windward untouched for half an hour after dumping the traveler about two feet for balance.

Lots of furniture creaking down below, as reported by other E38s. I'm going to have to do something about that.

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
It's this that makes us spend so much time/money/emotion.

Steady 15 knots. Waves 2-3 feet.

120 high-clew Dacron genoa. Full battened Dacron main.

Yes, sailed to windward untouched for half an hour after dumping the traveler about two feet for balance.

Lots of furniture creaking down below, as reported by other E38s. I'm going to have to do something about that.