• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M25XP alternator

HerbertFriedman

Member III
need to replace alternator on Universal M25XP, one with internal voltage regulator. Universal wants over $500 for a 51 amp or 65 amp unit. Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative, or what is the corresponding Kubota unit (marine use)?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
need to replace alternator on Universal M25XP, one with internal voltage regulator. Universal wants over $500 for a 51 amp or 65 amp unit. Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative, or what is the corresponding Kubota unit (marine use)?

We have an indépendant marine alternator/starter shop in Portland that routinely rebuilds these for external (or stock OEM) regulation. Cost is way less than your new cost for one.
http://pmxalternators.com/index.html

I bet that there is a shop in your fair city that does this also. You might want to check with your boat yards and major chandlers, and, of course Google.

Loren

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Replacement alternator.

Herb, I just spotted one on eBay for $300.00 so maybe you can she around to find an even lower price. Years ago I took my Yanmar alternator to a local rebuild shop and remember the technician remarking that it was identical to a Mitsubishi alternator. I quizzed him over details that would make it a marinized version and he remarked that mine was identical to the automotive version. It's still running like a top all these years later. I recall that the cost was $90.00 for new diodes, bearings and a thorough clean up. Maybe you could have yours rebuilt too???? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Glyn, I looked on Ebay but saw nothing for Universal diesels, lots of Yanmar and Volvo, do you have that ebay link? Or do you know what the cross reference unit is for Universal engines?

Guy Stevens

Or call these people and get a compatable new one for about $50.00

(800) 753-2242
Db Electrical.

Thanks,
Guy
:)

Guy Stevens

I think it is $73.75

Give them a call and don't take my word for it, but I think it might be this one.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-8083-alternator-marine-applications-replaces-motorola.aspx

I generally have them in hand on the west coast in less than 2 days, when I order from them. Have installed a lot of alternators from these folks and never had a problem. (Ok once they sent me the wrong one, and then sent me a new one next day air at their cost. However other than that never.)

You could also upgrade to a 90 amp for I believe the same price.

Seriously just call them!

Guy
:)

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Any reputable alternator shop should be able to fix you up for considerably less. Bring your old one with you.

I had mine rewound at a local starter / alternator shop. They warranty their work and we are happy.

Guy,s alternative (sorry couldn't resist) looks pretty darned good though.

Grizz

Grizz
Motorola Rebuild

Chased battery charge issues 4+ years ago to the culprit: alternator. Pulled it and walked it into a local rebuild shop. 'The guy' identified it immediately from across the room: "from a boat?", leading me to believe the fix would require an arm and a leg to pay for the fix. Bench testing proved it wasn't generating squat but that it could be rebuilt to OEM status. Total charge? $80, with new parts and painted to appear OEM, 3 days total running time. Cranking like a champ ever since.