• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Folding prop

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I am finally getting GettinAir ready to take her to the Gulf coast in Sep. The question is, geared or non geared folding prop. I love the flexofold on Rumkin but wonder if hard growth would fowl the gears in salt water, I have a Martec prop on GettinAir but I am thinking of swapping the props to have the Flexofold on the boat on the coast that will do more motoring. The Flexofold gives better drive than the Martec and I think is smoother.

Rick I may end up at Island Cove Marina.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have a Varifold 2 blade geared folding prop on our E30+ which works quite well. I think the gears are important to ensure both blades open at the same time. I wouldn't try a non-geared folding prop. They used to be non-geared, and then developed the geared because there were some issues with the non-geared.
Frank

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Folding Prop Geared vs Not Geared

Randy: I know that I have given this diatribe on another thread, but am to lazy to find it....

I have had Martec folding props on four different boats going back to 1970. I periodically sent them back during the winter months when the boat was on the hard. I always dealt with Walt Beck, and was treated fairly, and never had a problem with the props......sooner or later any prop will go out of balance, get nicked, or bent.....

When I bought my E35-3 in 2006 I called, and spoke to Gary Beck who told me of his fathers passing, and was glad to give an old customer davice....

Since the boat was purchased to be in Florida which is notorious for growth, I specifically asked about the geared prop. Gary said that if the growth got into the gears it would not be a good thing, and since I was used to the regular Martec I would probably be better off. I had the boat in Florida til 2010, and here in Illinois since....as always....no prop problems.....

Hope this is of some help to you.....and I quote Loren......"this advice is worth exactly what you are paying for it"...

Good Luck

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Thanks Mort

Pensacola is a haven for barnacles and that is my concern. I have both props Flexofold and Martec I would just have to swap them boat to boat if I wanted the FLexifold for the boat in Pensacola

Wolfemusic

Bettina
I am finally getting GettinAir ready to take her to the Gulf coast in Sep. The question is, geared or non geared folding prop. I love the flexofold on Rumkin but wonder if hard growth would fowl the gears in salt water, I have a Martec prop on GettinAir but I am thinking of swapping the props to have the Flexofold on the boat on the coast that will do more motoring. The Flexofold gives better drive than the Martec and I think is smoother.

Rick I may end up at Island Cove Marina.

I have a flex o fold on my e32 in sf bay. No issues and the boat sat for a number of years in its slip before I acquired her. Just did a haul out and it cleaned up good as new but functioned fine even before that.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4171.jpg
    IMG_4171.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 281