• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27' 1977 Appraisal - Selling Price?

jhackbar

We are having twins and will be selling our Ericson 27' 1977 which is located in the water in Redondo Beach California. We would like to sell the boat but are not sure the current value. We have realistic expectations and want to sell the boat this summer.

What do you think is a good starting price? Is 4,500 a reasonable starting point? If not let me know your recommendations.
Here are the boat details:
- Inboard Atomic 4 Gas engine is not running since before we purchased the boat in 2012
- Auto Pilot: Autohelm ST4000
- wheel set up from the factory
- rigged for a spinnaker and has a whisker pole
- 3/4oz ,1/2oz spinnaker, 155, 110 and a main sails are included.
- Sails are tired but could be used for cruising around just fine
- Interior cabin is in great shape and has around 6'1'' standing room
- No trailer as boat is in the water

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAGE_432.jpg
    IMAGE_432.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 254

jhackbar

I am pretty sure the Atomic 4 engine is seized. As we could not get it to turn over with a hand crank. I am planning on selling it as is. The new owner can either slap on a outboard or pull the engine and get a rebuilt Atomic 4 from www.moyermarine.com. So given the engine is not working what is your appraisal?

All my time now is focused on Twin prep :) and enjoying my sleep!

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Not having a running motor is a problem. A replacement A4 is going to run around $5k from Moyer. If you get lucky you might find one for less but it still is going to be $2,000 plus, and they are getting pretty rare. A diesel repower would run more like $10k. That is a lot for a boat that is worth maybe $8-9k with a running motor and in really good shape. There is a diesel 1976 27' at Deltaville that has been listed for a year and priced dropped to $6,500. It is still there. I think your $4,500 is a good starting point. Good luck.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'd say the boat has no sales potential without an engine. Hire a mechanic, see if it can be fixed. You need to have something to tell buyers.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
I'd say the boat has no sales potential without an engine. Hire a mechanic, see if it can be fixed. You need to have something to tell buyers.

Semi agree with what Christian says, but there are folks out there who do just this, buy boats that have issues for a very low price, fix them and basically "flip" them. I was told basically my boat was terminal after it sank at the slip twice (long story, marina/boatyard issues) but with some time, effort and some $$ it is running like a top again. These are very durable motors. Worst case, part it out. Lots of demand for various parts. The A4 has a pretty good core value alone.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
There is a guy up in the desert in Barstow, CA, who rebuilds and sells A-4 s at a reasonable price., afaik.

Has the engine been flooded with sea water? If not, I would try to pull out the plugs and squirt a thin oil into each cylinder. Let it sit like that a good long time and then try to crank it by hand, keep all the plugs out. It may surprise you and work. Those old engines are very surprising at how much abuse they can take.