• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 25XP starter problems

CTOlsen

Member III
I had the starter/solenoid replaced a month ago due to solenoid failure. While at the dock, the engine started great! Quick powerful turnover, assisted by new battery. But, I went out sailing for the first time over ~35 miles, then attempted to start as we approached the harbor, and got nothing- no solenoid click, no turning.

I was with a fellow sailor who is more diesel heavy than I. While sailing, we attempted to jumper the solenoid, via screwdriver, and got movement. A reattempt of the start pushbutton started the engine!

After sitting on the mooring for an hour, I reattempted a start and got nothing, again. A jumper across the solenoid again got a momentary bump, then we were able to start the engine via the PB.

THe next morning- the same. We ended up installing a #8 wire jumper with a 25 amp breaker across the solenoid. After cycling the breaker once, we were able to continuously start the engine every time.

Batteries are strong, replaced several connectors in the solenoid line. Removed fuse holder and ran hard wire. Ground connection is good and clean.

I'm planning on replacing the starter motor/solenoid again. Any thoughts on what my problem is?

Frustrated in Mystic.

I had that problem with my 5411 a few years ago and it was the key switch...bought one at the Diesel store and one at West marine...now I have a extra...they are $40 or $50 bucks
good luck

CTOlsen

Member III
It ain't the button.

I replaced the PB 3 years ago, and tried jumpering it. No change- no click from the solenoid.

Grizz

Grizz
Perhaps this?

Having had a similar 'adventure' 2 years ago, I'll insert the following: same engine (25 XP), but switched start, no Push Button. A 7 AM departure was delayed 5 hours as the source was investigated, culminating in the discovery of 2 solenoid related items:

1. the presence of an in-line fuse (which I didn't know existed)
  2. the fact that the blue/red wire connecting the in-line fuse had parted. No electric = no start.

Accessed on the port side of the Universal, from the top (after lifting the hinged lid and removing the tray filled with all sorts of gak).

Can't say for certain this will fix yours, but it certainly did mine. Here's a pic of the OEM in-line fuse:

Attachments

• The Leland MI Solelnoid Culprit, cropped.jpg
    The Leland MI Solelnoid Culprit, cropped.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 497

CTOlsen

Member III
No joy

Replaced the key switch; No joy. BUT! Found a goofy transformer that doesn't show on the electrical schematic. Looks like the original owner put this on the boat. Will trace it and see if it's the problem.

solenoid fuse

On Sketcher, had replaced the solenoid fuse because of inner corrosion a few years ago.
In reading the thread of starter problems and comment from "Grizz" ...I realized my problem of sometimes not getting a turn over.

Will check out that fuse again. Sometimes it's the smallest thing.

Hilco

CTOlsen

Member III
I think this might be the problem......

I found this gem installed in the motor compartment. The terminal labeled BATT was attached to the orange wire that leads to the control panel, the NEG was attached to a ground on the front of the engine, the ALT was attached to a #10 red wire that went nowhere- cut and jamed into the engine compartment. I remove this baby (I think it's an isolator) and all the leads and have been able to start the engine on the first attempt. I'll keep testing with the boat disconnected from the dock.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• isolator 2.jpg
    isolator 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 483
  • isolator1.jpg
    isolator1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 480