• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universal 25xp heat exchanger

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
I recall that I saw posted somewhere in the site, the part# for this heat exchanger and the best place (best price) to purchase. Over heating badly, can't safely leave my slip. May need impeller pump also or rebuild. So far I've changed impeller twice, put in new antifreeze, and checked heat exchanger for zink debris, and impeller parts, etc. I have not taken to radiator shop for boil out. At this point I would just like to replace the heat exchanger. It's 27 years old and it just deserves to retire. Regarding the impeller pump, how long do they last?

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Alan, thanks for getting me started. It seems like I recall someone reporting a price around $350, I just don't remember where and can't find the thread. Hopefully, whoever reported that great price will sign in and notice this request for help. Thanks, Joe

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Alan, thanks for getting me started. It seems like I recall someone reporting a price around $350, I just don't remember where and can't find the thread. Hopefully, whoever reported that great price will sign in and notice this request for help. Thanks, Joe

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Not sure if you can order directly from SenDure, but a quick google search for "SenDure heat exchanger" brings up lots from various sources.
e.g., this "Mr. Cool" outfit has quite a selection.

Have you bench-tested your HEX? Is it blocked, or leaking? I cleaned up my ratty old one and re-soldered the end cap back on. It wasn't that difficult and hasn't given me any trouble in five years now.

Last edited:

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Hey Mark, thanks so much. Currently the price from Mr. Cool is $366 plus $21 something to ship by ground. Other prices I found were Torresen for around $725 like Catelina catalogue. So you just saved me about $360. Appreciate your help. Joe

Teranodon

Member III
http://www.seakamp.com/
I think that they will be as competitive or even a little less expensive, along with offering the option for 100% copper Nickle instead of just copper.

Guy
:)

I have a 4" Seakamp heat exchanger and it's doing the job. When I serviced it, I was impressed by the build quality. Amazingly, there are TWO heat exchanger manufacturers in Bellingham. The other is Orca and you might want to get a quote from them.

Have you tested your thermostat?

markvone

Sustaining Member
All,

From my notes at the time I verified the Mr. Cool P/N 299835CN I bought IS a Seacamp Copper Nickel 3" HE.
Maybe it can be bought cheaper directly from Seacamp?

I doubt anyone would need more cooling with any diesel up to the M40. Our current mid-Bay water temp is 84 degrees. My creek temp is 88 degrees. I have had no cooling issues with the new 3 inch HE.

Mark

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Have you tried replacing the thermostat? Not being able to leave the slip makes me think of the thermostat. It only takes a few minutes to overheat if it is not opening.

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
My dear footrope, you have saved me a load of problems. Can't thank you enough. The
Thermostat was blown. It was my biggest problem. Need some more advice. Have ordered the heat exchanger from mr cool @ $366. Do I need it or not? It turns out, that, afer running my 25xp tonite for two hours I have one cool running universal 25xp, with 3900 hrs., with no problems now. Should I just be happy or just go ahead and replace my 27 year old heat exchanger and continue the complete upgrade. I know that as I make this now beautiful E34 upgrade complete, all original, or do I keep up the process and be completely happy, as Christian must be with his beautiful 38 Thelonious II. Thanks again, Joe

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
In general, test a component before replacing it. Otherwise, you will soon buy a complete new boat. Once piece at a time. At retail prices.

There is a theory that this happens anyway...

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I agree with the toddster. I'd remove and test the old one, especially if it is a 3-inch. If it pressure tests ok on both circuits, then get it cleaned with a little muriatic acid and then maybe re-paint it before you put it back in. If it has been more than a few years since it was cleaned, it will help put off any problems for a few more years. Also, don't forget the heat exchanger zinc if you haven't check/replaced it.

Happy to help. We'll see you around the Sound or the Islands sometime, I'm sure.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
You don't say what heat exchanger you have in originally. If you have the 3" heat exchanger and it is running well and in good condition I don't see the point in doing the change. I just replaced mine a week ago but I had the smaller original heat exchanger on my M25 and it always ran at the ragged edge of overheating. I think they moved to the larger heat exchanger around 1991.

It really sounds like the thermostat was your problem. If it's still running cool after 2 hours you should be good to go.

I will say that the Mr. Cool 3" was what I needed. I now run about 170f instead of 185 -90F at cruising speeds. Quite a change and I won't always have to be glancing at the temp gauge every 3 minutes.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Eric B

Learning
Heat exchanger 3"

Got mine from [FONT=&quot]Go2marine.com about 4 years ago.
[/FONT]
Universal -Medalist Replacement Heat Exchanger, 3" Diameter; M25 CuNi, 299835CN
Note the CuNi, copper with nickel
It was $336 plus shipping.

Eric
1988 E 32-III
#747 Liliana

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
However, if it's not broke.... Overheating, operating temperatures, etc. can be subjective--who knows if the data is accurate, or what the normal range is (check manual).

Many people have gone to 3"--by necessity, and for reasons they didn't make up.

But on the other hand, I put thousands of miles on a factory 2" through 78" water, with nary a hitch.

I wouldn't change it just to change it.