• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Looking for a V-birth door for Ericson 39 flushdeck

dgililov

Looking for a V-berth door for Ericson 39 flushdeck

hi all,
I am trying to install a door in the v-berth.
any idea where can I purchase a door that would fit?

Attachments

• QuickSilver cabin.JPG
    QuickSilver cabin.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sounds like a difficult assignment to find one for sale.

On my model, that door is very simple, although I would have trouble producing the panels and getting it to match the rest of the mahogany.

It's held on by a full length piano hinge, and he latch is the simplest possible--a lever that falls into a catch.

I might consider having the piece cut from acrylic (lucite). You could pick a color to complement your custom interior (which I like).

Acrylic is a handsome, tough material that's easy to work with tools.

It would not need finishing or trim or any kind.

Just an idea....

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

What is the goal?

What is the goal of the door. This sounds like a strange question, but could you meet your goals by flipping the head door around to hinge on the other side, thereby serving as both a head door and a door for the v-berth?

The original door was small and secured to the bulkhead with a snap when not in use. It had a simple metal bar and stud that the bar went over. It was flatter than the door to the head.

Guy
:)

dgililov

V-berth door

I take friends sailing pretty often, and some (female ones) need privacy in the v-berth when changing cloths when head is occupied at the same time..
I like the idea of just duplicating the head door and try to adjust it to the v-berth opening.. but the problem is that the door opening is very uneven which makes creating a new door a very challenging task... (at least to someone like me). so wanted to check in Ericson community for any alternative ideas :)
thanks for your attention!
~Dimitry

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Dimitry,

Welcome to the website. I can't imagine a door built to fit would be a very hard or expensive thing to have made. I would ask around for carpenter references. Do you have more photos of the interior? Looks interesting.

dgililov

sharing more pictures

hanging a curtain was/is on my list as a last resort option. agreed regarding privacy illusion... but we need to get ladies comfortable to keep them interested in sailing lol
sharing more pictures of interior - keep in mind: work is still in progress.

Attachments

• boat_inter_image2.jpg
    boat_inter_image2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 54
  • boat_inter_image3.jpg
    boat_inter_image3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 62
  • boat_inter_image4.jpg
    boat_inter_image4.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 56
  • boat_inter_image5.jpg
    boat_inter_image5.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 55
  • boat_inter_image6.jpg
    boat_inter_image6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 55

e38 owner

Member III
Don't know if this would work but could add a slider on post side main cabin head wall.
When needed head door could shut v berth and slider shut off head
Or slider shut off head and v berth

dgililov

thanks all

thanks all for your input and feedback on the interior design. :)
i've decided to copy head door and will try to adjust it to v berth door opening.
If that dies not work, then curtains it is.
Will share more pictures once done.
~Dimitry

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
You have a lot of the same colors in your boat that I have in my house. :) Odd that I hadn't really thought of painting the inside of the boat. Although I have a few small pieces of art saved for it.

As for the door, harbor freight tools has an inexpensive router bit set for doors and cabinets. Start with some cheap softwood doors for shop cabinets or something. Then move up to the expensive wood. Alternatively, how about a groovy 70's hanging bead door. Maybe a little difficult to source, unless you make it yourself.

dgililov

Follow up on V-berth door

Hey all,
just wanted to give a heads up on the v-berth project :)

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 22
  • Image-2.jpg
    Image-2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 29