• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

replacement exhaust riser on 5411 universal

Time to replace the exhaust riser. Last time I replaced the original with a Westerbeke. The Westerbeke may no longer be available. Does anyone know an alternative? Thanks in advance.
Al

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Al
Did you ever figure out where to get the Westerbeke Exhaust Riser or a substitute. I installed the Westerbeke about twenty years ago and it still looks pretty good but who knows when we will need to do it again. NH has a much shorter sailing season than FL.
Best Regards
Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+ Chips Universal 5411

replacement exhaust rizer on 5411 universal

Hi Pat,
I replaced original with a Westerbeke about 12 years ago...Then a couple of weeks back I noticed a leak on the hose exiting the riser and observed very little exhaust and water coming out the exhaust pipe but a high pressure stream of water coming from the small bypass hose outlet just above the exhaust pipe. My immediate thinking was bad riser so I went ahead and removed the Westerbeke riser. I then visited Yacht Power here in St Pete where I purchased the Westerbeke riser 12 years back and they told me the Westerbeke was no longer available. BUMMER !!
They explained the only option was to use a Yanmar riser. Using the Yanmar works but you have to do some black iron piping retrofitting from the exhaust manifold to the new riser to connect it. Then you have to wrap this black iron piping with special exhaust cloth available from automotive stores to protect it from over heating the surrounding area.
After doing all of this I had to remove and refit the hose between the new riser and the muffler. This hose section contains a brass check valve [at least my boat has one, not sure if it is standard] Anyway after all of this and 2 days of work removing, the old and retrofitting the new piping etc. I found the real problem was not the riser but the swing check valve had failed and was blocking the exhaust flow to the muffler...another BUMMER....I could have gotten by just replacing the check valve and not the riser...I think the riser was fine.
Now that it is all done everything runs great problem solved and I have a new riser, hose and check valve...the whole thing cost about $225.00 and at least 15 hours of work and running around.
Yacht power told me the riser needs to be replaced every 5 years...not sure about that, I thing the Westerbeke is an over sized riser and might last 15 to 20 years but not the check valve if you have one.
I am glad I replaced the riser for peace of mind... I plan to do some cruising this fall and winter it was in the back of my mind to replace it anyway...It was in there for 12 to 15 years. Do you run in salt water of fresh? Fresh water may not be a problem at all...
Please feel free to call me 727 698 4139...I would be happy to discuss further in detail.
If you want a nice vacation this winter you should come to St Pete...it a beautiful city with lots to see and I will take you and yours sailing on the Tampa Bay and Gulf Of Mexico..
Regards,
Al
Have a great day...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 561

Pat O'Connell

Member III
5411 Exhaust

Hi Al
Sorry to hear! Factory advised me to remove that check valve in 82 when we changed to fwc. They said it was a engine plumbing edit they did that was not needed. We opened the valve and cut out the check feature. Our sw valve still looks pretty good but we do not get the use in NH that you get in FL. Delighted to sail in FL sometime. We tend to head for the NH mountains and ski when we get a little time and money.
Thanks for the feedback. We sure do appreciate it.
Best Regards
Pat O'Connell
Ericson 1981 Univesal 5411

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Mixing Elbow

Hi Al
Almost gave you bad info. That check valve flapper was cut out in 82 but the mixing elbow is probably only 15 years old. Both still look pretty good.
Best Regards
Pat
1981 Ericson 28+ (maybe hull 574) Universal 5411 (fwc since 82, sailing season is May-Sep)