• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Window Replacement

rnrlynn

I want to change our windows to Lexan. Same as posted under Owner Projects.

I was wondering what the long term outcome has been for anyone that has done this?

Have they gotten scratched or cloudy over the years?
Any leaking problems?
About how much larger it the lexan than the window opening?

Thanks!

Rachelle Lynn
Tivoli E-27

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Too much advice...

We changed from clouded scratched lexan (tm) on our '88 model boat about 5 years ago. Now it looks almost as bad as before. Looked outstanding for first couple of years, though...
:)
Unlike acrylic, lexan (tm) is softer and much more subject to UV damage. Plus factor is that it bends before it will break -- down side to this virtue is that it is possible for a breaking sea to flex it to the point that it punches in the whole window, intact.... This would not be a "good thing."
:eek:
There is a calculated amount of unsupported width and height that you can have with a given thickness of polycarbonate (as it is properly called) in order to minimize the bending possibility. Since our boat was designed for ocean sailing, and our external lexan lenses have about an inch or a tad more of overlap beyond the opening (that is itself just about equal to the cutout for a Lewmar long slant-end port, I have to figure that this is about the maximum for the lexan... Our ports have a lot a screws as will as adhesive sealant to hold them.
As to what amount of green water would be a threat to your boat's ports... that would depend a lot on where you sail. Probably never a concern in Puget Sound, but on a passage to SF, it would.
:rolleyes:

Done right, this change can look as great as the E-27 mentioned elsewhere on this site. I would go with black "Life Seal" for the adhesive. Please do not use clear -- I've seen it done and it did not look good, IMHO. Also, after a careful (and thorough) dry fit, use 80 grit to scuff *only* the bonding surface of the cabin side and the lens. Leave on the paper protective cover on the outside and on the inside, cutting away only the inside outer paper where the lens will contact the Life Seal. Use a LOT of 3M blue tape and plastic. Have a helper. Lots of paper towels. A bucket to hold the used towels. (You will be amazed at the "tar baby" principal in action!)
Do not over-tighten the screws -- you do not want the lens to show dimple-ing around each screwhead. Remember to oversize each hole. Plastics have a lot of thermal expansion....

Best,

Loren in PDX
Olson 34 #8
:egrin:

ps: a search on this site for "windows" will bring up an earlier discussion of this method, including how to prevent leaks.

Last edited: