• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

89' E34 I'll be going to see this week, curious what others think.

ofshore74

Member III
Several of you have chimed in about some of the issues already mentioned with this boat (thank you very much): went aground albeit at slow speed and nicked the keel - since repaired, Hobbs meter got switched so inaccurate number of engine hours, has a "few" blisters, water damage in the usual places, needs cabin sole refinished/repaired, few hatches repaired probably all replaced from crazing, new cushions/upholstery, mattresses, alternator bracket...it's a 27 year old boat original systems.

Basically I'll need new everything: new rigging, probably new canvas, new sails, lifelines, electronics, etc. as most are at or near lifespan, will know more once I see it in person curious what other Ericson owners think: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/Ericson-298486/

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Value for the $

In my opinion (FWIW and what I am charging for it) I think the asking price is way out of line.....you will have a gigantic parts spend plus all of your labor.....

With that much work to be done I am sure you canfind a boat in almost like condition for a lot less.

If you think that you can negotiate the price down substantially it then becomes viable......but not for just a small drop.

Good Luck

ofshore74

Member III
In my opinion (FWIW and what I am charging for it) I think the asking price is way out of line.....you will have a gigantic parts spend plus all of your labor.....

With that much work to be done I am sure you canfind a boat in almost like condition for a lot less.

If you think that you can negotiate the price down substantially it then becomes viable......but not for just a small drop.

Good Luck

Thanks Mort. Still wrapping my head around it. Certainly not afraid of getting the hands dirty. But yes it's pricey. Part of me wants totally upgraded everything however I don't think it's all that common to find with Ericsons of this vintage, something that DOESN'T need a lot of work, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Looking at the listing, the engine hours are very low. Instruments are old add nothing to the price.
Furnace might also be an old model and the ad does not have those details.
Cabin sole needs refinishing.
Two blade fixed prop is likely original; I would expect to see a feathering prop if the boat was used much.
Not familiar with the model designation of the winches -- those numbers are normally attached to Lewmar, and a Lewmar is shown in one of the pix.
The Lowrance 5" plotter has been on sale for several years around $400 or $500. and is a good unit. Nothing special as far as adding value though.
The Windlass is a plus, if installed properly.
Price seems high to me too, but only a close up look by a disinterested party can really help with this.

Perhaps she was a 'marina queen' and that's why there are two bbq's. :)

I admit to being biased in favor of that model, having a similar layout in our '88 O-34, but our boat is "smaller" and lacks the extensive teak interior completeness of the Ericson. OTOH our boat has a large chart table.

Keep us in the loop as you look closer.

Regards,
Loren

ps: likely way overdue for a new standing rig, also.

Last edited:

ofshore74

Member III
Looking at the listing, the engine hours are very low.

Apparently it had three owners, lightly used by both current/previous maybe a month and a half out of the year. Was told the engine has around 1300hrs now, but not exactly sure. Reminds me to ask about the furnace, thanks for the feedback.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I see some good things here. The hatches have all been updated as have all the opening ports. The hatch boards have been replaced with opening doors. The Teak looks top flight both above and below. A microwave has been added. The engine is a biggee. Is the rigging original? The gel coat looks great. Those cushions definitely are newer. The originals are very different.

These boats aren't coming up very often on the west coast. Three years ago, it would sell at a higher price than that as is. If it looks good, you can make a reasonable offer and put in the contract a back out clause until you review your survey. You are not committed until then. Do have it surveyed and a mechanic inspect the engine. The Surveyor can give you a market price.The 34's (and the 35-3's) are incredible sailing boats and among the best boats for the price out there. I have a good friend with a Lord Nelson 37 who insists that the Ericson's are the best deal out there. You can't find many boats out there that can bounce off rocks and be undamaged (the wife's don't always fare as well). I'm looking at Catalina 34's at this price out here.

Loren, my boat has a two bladed fixed prop with 3,000hrs on the clock. Boat sails just fine.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Jason G

Member II
That's a pretty clean example from what I can see. Here in the PNW I'd say the price is not too far off from market value but 45K would be nicer. I love the swing out hatch boards and if you end up buying this boat I wouldn't mind trying to copy them. Just about every used boat needs bottom paint and sails. Every boat that old will need some blister work. Standing rigging should be ok if it's been kept here in the NW. Wait for the west marine 40% off sales on lines to buy your running rigging. I love my 34-2 and everyone that's sailed it or on it loves it too. what have you been sailing on or owned in the past?

-Jason

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Asking price would be reasonable in my area. Broker will take $4,900 of it. Brokers don't expect to get the asking price. You can ask them to compute "average sales price" of all similar boats in the US last five years." Should be "part of the service".

If interior cushions are newish, if dodger is included and doesn't need to be replaced, if sails are OK for a season or two, and if the electronics actually work--all positive.

If the answer is no or maybe or meh, that would affect my bid.

Pictures look better than reality, but it does seem a nice boat.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'd say it's definitely worth a look. With a late 80s boat you have to plan on some replacements as time goes on, but you don't have to do it all on day one.

EGregerson

Member III
e34

That's a nice looking boat; (yes I'm biased) i love the companionway doors. But...the rust on the keels bolts bothers me. There are posts on this site showing what that can lead to; like rebedding the keel. I'd definitely have that inspected/evaluated; maybe its superficial. Also, check forward v berth storage for water collecting.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Two years ago I bought an 87 E34 in pretty good shape for $45K. Bought directly from the owner, so no commission. One soft spot on the cabin top near the mast was due to poor caulking and was a bear to fix. Had to pull out all the wet balsa with a coat hangar, dry it out with my wife's hair drier and had the yard back fill the space, about one foot square, with some very slow setting epoxy, to keep the heat generated down.

Mine had a Furuno radar, speedo, depth gauge and auto pilot. Plus a fairly new dodger and bimini with lee curtains all around, a manual windless and 25 lb CQR. The engine had 2300 hours but needed a new water pump housing, the old one had a hairline crack. Cost me $450 for a very complete engine survey plus $600 for a standards survey. That was a bear to get to, the yard charged $2K, had to remove most of the front of the engine to get at it, lousy design. I also changed all the hoses and the head Y valve, actually found a water bottle cap jamming the valve, all told I spent about $7K on preventive maintenance. Sails were in good shape, about 10 years old, fully battened main, 110 and 130 jibs. The primary sheet winches were new Lewmar but all the others were original Barient, in good working order. Icom radio, stereo and small flat screen TV. A few blisters, very small.

There are several plaques showing first and second place finishes in SoCal, circa 1990's. No spinaker but has spin halyards and a spin pole, I would know how to fly the damn thing anyway. New hatches and new port lites all around. Upholstery looks newer than original but not as nice as your in the photos but good'n'nuf for me for now.

Lots of room for the admiral, sails well, seems well built, my previous boat was a Tartan 30 so I appreciate quality. I made a Sailrite Stack pack, best thing I ever did, lower the mainsail and put it away in a few minutes. I almost bought the identical boat from a friend down the dock but he had more blisters and I really hate that problem, its a long story. But we loved the boat and price was not really a factor, up to a point of course. The prop shaft, cutless bearing and new dripless shaft seal are great , bilge completely dry except for rain down the mast. Prop is a fixed three blade for cruising, backs up well, turns on a dime with that fin keel Draws 6'2", went aground lightly once but it is a concern for some places.

I would advise adding ball bearing slides hardware ( Tides, I think) to raise the main, cost about $1.5K but it is very hard to raise the main, the admiral certainly cannot do it, with all reefing lines led aft lots of friction.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
89 e34

I think she's pretty. I don't know what the price should be, but the asking price should just be the start of a conversation. I think I would be willing to get a survey on that boat if it suits your criteria for size and accommodations.

JSM

Member III
We just purchased an 87 model this past May and couldn't be happier with the way this boat sails. Our interior cushions are original and are the same color as yours. Our cabin sole is water stained in the same places as well.
So far we have replaced the sails, and running rigging and added a stack pack w/lazy jacks. We also had to unexpectedly replace the motor mounts, drive shaft and coupling, stuffing box and cutlass bearing ( see my other posts for that story). Have your surveyor check that area carefully!
So far we are into the boat for about 9K less than the asking price on the one you are looking at but still have a way to go.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Dave N

Member III
Use NADA

IMO, Be sure to use NADA price history/guidelines for bargaining. Shows average retail as $36.200.

ofshore74

Member III
That's a nice looking boat; (yes I'm biased) i love the companionway doors. But...the rust on the keels bolts bothers me. There are posts on this site showing what that can lead to; like rebedding the keel. I'd definitely have that inspected/evaluated; maybe its superficial. Also, check forward v berth storage for water collecting.

Thinking its sludge. Asking for better photos. The water in the bilge indicates it needs the shaft seal adjusted or repacked. Thanks for the tip about the v berth storage.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
When I was looking last year, the broker I was working with ran the sales-history for a number of models I was interested in.

For the 34-2, there were 19 closed sales in the system between 2012 and 2015. Of those, average asking price was 47,231 and average selling price was 40,777. Of those, one was in Washington and 6 (!) were in BC. I don't have any info about the boats (condition, equipment)... just the year, asking price, selling price and dates (time on the market).

PM me with an email address if you'd like me to send you the detail info...

Bruce

ofshore74

Member III
Two years ago I bought an 87 E34 in pretty good shape for $45K. Bought directly from the owner, so no commission. One soft spot on the cabin top near the mast was due to poor caulking and was a bear to fix. Had to pull out all the wet balsa with a coat hangar, dry it out with my wife's hair drier and had the yard back fill the space, about one foot square, with some very slow setting epoxy, to keep the heat generated down.
Thanks I'll check the deck with a moisture meter to be sure.
The prop shaft, cutless bearing and new dripless shaft seal are great , bilge completely dry except for rain down the mast.
No shaft seal on this one, heard something about 10 drips per minute if I recall correctly - seems high.
I would advise adding ball bearing slides hardware ( Tides, I think) to raise the main, cost about $1.5K but it is very hard to raise the main, the admiral certainly cannot do it, with all reefing lines led aft lots of friction.
Good to know. Thanks!

Last edited:

ofshore74

Member III
When I was looking last year, the broker I was working with ran the sales-history for a number of models I was interested in.

For the 34-2, there were 19 closed sales in the system between 2012 and 2015. Of those, average asking price was 47,231 and average selling price was 40,777. Of those, one was in Washington and 6 (!) were in BC. I don't have any info about the boats (condition, equipment)... just the year, asking price, selling price and dates (time on the market).

PM me with an email address if you'd like me to send you the detail info...

Bruce

Thanks Bruce!

Blitzie

Loren I just did it

I bought an Ericson 34 1987 last week. So far I love it. Mine was a great value and was on the west coast. I look forward to many years of use. Very comfortable to sail. Mine was updated in the early 90's with new electronics and everything works. I am really excited to start this chapter of my boating career.