• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

89' Ericson 34 Salon Cupboard Modifications

ofshore74

Member III
I'm currently eyeballing an 89' E34 wondering if anyone has ever made modifications to the salon cupboards (port and starboard side) on one -- I believe the E38 also has a similar design. If I end up purchasing one I'd like to remove them (also curious what is behind them I.E. wood strips against hull) or somehow simplify them. I quite like the 34 this seems to be my only complaint with the interior of this cabin.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5860064_20160712122032593_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5860064_20160712122032593_1_XLARGE.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
I have a wineglass and goblet rack in my forward starboard cupboard that exactly fits my acrylic wineglasses and cupboards. Trey sophisticated. Other than that, no changes. I would not remove the handrail above the cupboards. When being tossed around (happens often here on the Straights of Juan de Fuca), those handrails are worth their weight in gold bullion. We would not remove them because there is an amazing amount of storage in them that you would not be able to replace unless you considered removing the nav station icebox and replacing it with a drawer set such as in the later Pacific Seacraft E-34's. I wouldn't consider removing my freezer for storage but the drawers sure look nice in the 200 series. Next trip down to the boat, I'll take a picture of the rack for you. I'm going down often during the recovery phase on Terra Nova.

Last edited:

ofshore74

Member III
Very cool would like to see what you've done with her. I hear you about the handrail, one can never have too many handholds.

I have a wineglass and goblet rack in my forward starboard cupboard that exactly fits my acrylic wineglasses and cupboards. Trey sophisticated. Other than that, no changes. I would not remove the handrail above the cupboards. When being tossed around (happens often here on the Straights of Juan de Fuca), those handrails are worth their weight in gold bullion. Next trip down to the boat, I'll take a picture of the rack for you. I'm going down often during the recovery phase on Terra Nova.

Teranodon

Member III
I’ve had my E34 for a year and a half, and I never paid much attention to those sliding doors. But now that you mention it, they are kind of ugly.

They come out of their grooves easily, but I would hesitate to remove them permanently. It might not matter at the dock, but as soon as you start sailing in any kind of a breeze, things will start falling out. You could presumably replace the offending wicker material with some nice marine plywood, lexan, whatever.

There is nothing special in the back - just cream-colored vinyl.

My advice is: if the boat is otherwise satisfactory, buy her, and put the doors issue on your “to do” list. After a few weeks, the list will be so huge that the issue will quietly go away.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
LOL, I have been casually looking around FOR something like those wicker panels. The solid-panel cabinet doors I built don't get enough air exchange and tend to get moldy inside. That cabinet does look a little awkward and "heavy" to my eye, but somebody loved it. You only have to please yourself... Unless you want to re-sell the boat.

Edit: I'd guess that the cabinet looks "heavy" because it's basically suspended between the bulkheads and has to be stiff enough to bridge that distance.

Last edited:

ofshore74

Member III
I’ve had my E34 for a year and a half, and I never paid much attention to those sliding doors. But now that you mention it, they are kind of ugly.

They come out of their grooves easily, but I would hesitate to remove them permanently. It might not matter at the dock, but as soon as you start sailing in any kind of a breeze, things will start falling out. You could presumably replace the offending wicker material with some nice marine plywood, lexan, whatever.

There is nothing special in the back - just cream-colored vinyl.

My advice is: if the boat is otherwise satisfactory, buy her, and put the doors issue on your “to do” list. After a few weeks, the list will be so huge that the issue will quietly go away.

It's kind of a funny thread really because it's the original design and fabrication of the interiors of Bruce King's handiwork. I don't know, maybe I could grow to like them!

ofshore74

Member III
LOL, I have been casually looking around FOR something like those wicker panels. The solid-panel cabinet doors I built don't get enough air exchange and tend to get moldy inside. That cabinet does look a little awkward and "heavy" to my eye, but somebody loved it. You only have to please yourself... Unless you want to re-sell the boat.

Edit: I'd guess that the cabinet looks "heavy" because it's basically suspended between the bulkheads and has to be stiff enough to bridge that distance.

You raise a good point, I'm sure ripping these out might compromise some of the structural integrity of the bulkheads. Maybe just modify or clean up what is there. I think it's the arches I don't like - Bruce King's ears are ringing I'm sure.

Last edited:

Jason G

Member II
I've had my 34-2 about a year now and really like those cabinets. I've added a small pice of sticky back felt to the doors to increase their resistance to opening and keep them from clanking in the tracks when bobbing at anchor. Here in the PNW I would agree that the wicker significantly improves the venting and I have no mold at all on my boat.

-Jason
SV Kai Mana

Glyn Judson

Machine cane source.

All, For anyone who might benefit from knowing a reliable source of machine cane such as on those cabinet doors, here is one source: http://www.caneandbasket.com Things have changed over the years, O don't remember the owners looking so young when I ordered the stuff through the mail. Marilyn and I grew up in the West LA area but went to school in Santa Barbara in the late '60's/early '70's and while there I supplemented our meager income by repairing chairs with machine cane, hand caning and reed weaving too. These folks were always helpful and willing to help where they could. They came to trust me to ship my orders BEFORE I paid for them by check in the mail. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Here's my wineglass rack. It's in the front sta
attachment.php
rboard side cabinet. The wicker does keep the cabinets well vented and most people think they look wonderful. If you decide to change the wicker, make sure you have ventilation in the cabinets.

Attachments

• P1000381.JPG
    P1000381.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 287

markvone

Sustaining Member
Interior by Ron Holland

Sorry Bruce, we don't need no stinking cabinets!

I've thought of building removable cabinet modules that I could insert in the pilot berth areas to increase storage. Only the exposed inboard side would need to be cabinet quality. On the E36RH this is a large area available for storage if you are not going to sleep someone up there.

This item has percolated down to about #286 on my To-Do list.

Mark

Attachments

• 2145472_11 Salon Stbd.jpg
    2145472_11 Salon Stbd.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 331

ofshore74

Member III
Here's my wineglass rack. It's in the front sta
attachment.php
rboard side cabinet. The wicker does keep the cabinets well vented and most people think they look wonderful. If you decide to change the wicker, make sure you have ventilation in the cabinets.

Like the wine glass holder! Nice touch.