• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-2 Galley updates / redesign

adam

Member III
I'm soon going to undertake some modifications to my galley and I wanted thoughts or idea before I started.

1) I just got a big 3-burner force 10 propane stove to replace the missing stove (which I'm guessing was originally alcohol). I'm probably building a propane locker in the stern locker. Does anyone have advice on routing the propane? Is there any realistically easy way to get it behind the icebox?

2) There's a fair amount of wasted space behind the stove -- it seems the countertop (missing) drops down there. But even so, there's a lot of wasted space. I'm considering cutting away the stainless divider to open up that space and then building some small shelves. Has anyone else done this? And suggestions or warnings?

3) I don't know what happened to the original 12v control panel in my boat. Maybe there was a small fire at some point. But the section of the bulkhead where it was has in part been cut away and covered with a sheet of plywood. Now that I've moved the control panel adjacent to the chart table, I'm considering opening up a space where the control panel original was and building a cabinet for additional galley storage on top of the icebox (inside of the cockpit locker). And suggestions or warnings there?

Cheers,
-Adam

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A full-on safe and legal (and insurable) propane installation takes some work.

As an interim solution, just to get you out cruising and cooking sooner, consider routing your new propane supply hose back to a vertical tank secured to an upright stern rail. I have a friend that did this many years ago for his PSC Orion. Works fine and answers the demand for a "vented" propane storage. :)

To dress it up and protect it from direct sun and spray, you could make a sunbrella cover for the gas bottle.

Found this example with a quick search:
http://www.suremarineservice.com/propane-rail-mount-bracket-assembly.aspx

And, here's a prior thread with some applicability:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...8-E29-owners-Where-is-your-propane-tank/page2

Loren

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Good luck with your project! A couple of thoughts:

The Force 10 range is a pretty heavy unit, and I'm pretty sure it's the major contributing factor to my boat's port list. Something to consider, especially if you put the propane locker on the same side. I routed the hose (and the sniffer wiring) under the galley sink and in through the front of the range opening - a solution I'm not fully happy with, but you may have more freedom to run it under the galley drawers with your larger galley.
I'm pretty sure that there is empty space - with some sort of insulation (?) behind the ice box, but I haven't yet probed it. Probably, one could tunnel through that carefully with a long ship auger.

In the former location of the electrical panel, I've seen pictures where people installed a small microwave oven. I cantilevered a plywood box out into the sail locker and made two drawers to slide into it. (The water heater is directly below it and the same framework supports both.) Others have built clever tip-out units. Some idle weekend (as if) I might do that because it probably makes more efficient use of the space than my drawers.

The space behind the range is certainly tempting. Obviously some of that space is needed for gimbaling of the range (if you are going to install it that way) plus whatever the required clearance space is for the appliance. Some place, I saw a photo of a boat where they had installed some sort of deep storage bin in there, that was accessed through a hatch in the bottom of the galley cabinet. IIRC, they stashed canned goods down in there on long trips. I've left it alone for now, with the vague thought that some kind of fixed equipment, for which access is seldom needed, might someday fit in there. Watermaker? Electronics "black boxes," and junction boxes? Fixed fire extinguisher tank?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
the vague thought that some kind of fixed equipment, for which access is seldom needed, might someday fit in there. Watermaker? Electronics "black boxes," and junction boxes? Fixed fire extinguisher tank?

I had a similarly vague thought, while trying to think of where I might store my portable propane heater.

Turns out that while the hook that keeps the stove from gimballing is in place, there's plenty of room for it back there, hung from velcro straps screwed to the underside of the cabinet.

Since I seldom use the heater during the summer, and I don't have any immediate plans to use the stove while heeled 25 degrees... I figured it's worth a try. Fits back there nicely, the countertop covers it up. We'll see.

Attachments

• 089301320208.jpg
    089301320208.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 562

adam

Member III
It's a gimballed stove, but I'm considering installing her fixed; it does have good pot holders. Would that be a mistake?

The stove and the water heater are both on the starboard side. Between installing the stove yesterday, and pumping out the holding tank today, my boat is also definitely listing a bit to starboard. So be it... I'm LOVING all of the burners.

As for the propane heater, I have a nearly identical one. If you ever decide to move it, mine fit perfectly in the back of the shelf of the quaterberth.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'd be inclined to install the gimbal mount and just keep it locked most of the time - there is still lots of room behind there. I glanced through the manual and didn't immediately see anything about minimum clearance to combustibles (except overhead = 30 inches). Sometimes there is a label on the back of the appliance with this info. It says the 3&4 burner models only need 1 inch of space to gimbal, while 2-burner models need 4.5 inches.

I have to admit that in my limited experience, I've never really used the range at a pronounced degree of heel. A fore-aft gimbal may actually have been more useful in the swells. So I've just always used over-sized pots and pans to contain the soup tsunamis and a good clamp on the coffee pot. But the case in which the boat is heeled such that the stove is above me sorta gives me the willies... Maybe always cook on starboard tack... (or port for you?)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Leveling the playing field

The gimbal questions remind me of every time I have made a delivery off shore, and we all valued the gimbaled range not so much for cooking... but for being the only darned place inside the boat where we could set something down and have it (usually) stay put!
Well, that and in the sink where spills could be contained.

Even on days with low and long seas there is always the odd cross sea to launch your plate of vittles right off the counter! :rolleyes:

Loren

Zbingham

Member I
I think this is a cool set up for galley storage. I also like how there is a trash can access. I saw this in a listing for a 1984 E38 a while back and saved it to my "ideas" folder.

Attachments

• 5375010_20150908112249426_1_LARGE.jpg
    5375010_20150908112249426_1_LARGE.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 546

adam

Member III
Thanks Loren. Gimbaled it is.

It may actually be easier as it was setup that way originally. I'm just missing one side of the gimbaled mount.

But now I need a bit more advice. What's the right want to connect a propane hose to gimbaled stove?

* Should I just leave a bunch of extra hose near the stove so that it has free movement?

* Is there a particular hardening sealant I should use on the fitting so it won't work loose?

Any other advice is of course appreciated...

adam

Member III
Thanks Zbingham.

I don't think I'll copy it exactly, but it is inspiration. And I also love the idea for the garbage. :)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks Loren. Gimbaled it is.

It may actually be easier as it was setup that way originally. I'm just missing one side of the gimbaled mount.

But now I need a bit more advice. What's the right want to connect a propane hose to gimbaled stove?

* Should I just leave a bunch of extra hose near the stove so that it has free movement?

* Is there a particular hardening sealant I should use on the fitting so it won't work loose?

Any other advice is of course appreciated...

Download the manual for installation specifications. Your local propane dealer can hook you up with the correct flex hose.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you ever intend any overnight sailing, meaning cooking or heating anything in a seaway, then gimbals are not optional but necessary.

However, for ordinary storage in the space behind the stove, no problem. Cram it full. Just clear the space before setting off around the world.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Re Pic in Post #9

The access to the lazarette trash bin should be a push-through, as it is on the 32-3.

The pictured setup, which I currently have (until I change it), requires two hands to toss junk. And the door can't be left open, or it lies on the faucets.

The swinging flap of the 32-3--you just push it open, and it closes by gravity upon withdrawal of hand--is a work of genius.

p.gazibara

Member III
Cinderella's Galley

Maybe the setup I have on my 35-2 will help you out. I have attached some pictures. In the past, someone has installed a force 10 2 burned propane stove with oven on a gimbal and the associated propane locker. Its amazing. I have attached some pictures of the install. I agree there is lots of unused space behind the stove, but I am not sure of the best way to utilize it.
attachment.php
Here is a picture of the galley stove.
attachment.php
Beneath the stove is a semicircle of fiberglass that I assume was part of the Eriscon mold to add stiffness. The tube is hollow, and a hole was drilled in it that the propane hose is run through.
attachment.php
The propane hose is run below the cockpit to the starboard side of the aft lazerette.
attachment.php
A custom fiberglass enclosure was made to house the propane. The boat came with a 10lb aluminum propane tank which I had to get re-certified this past winter to get it refilled. There is also a 12v solenoid that must be engaged to allow the propane to flow to the stove.

I hope that helps ya!
-P

Attachments

• IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3700.jpg
    IMG_3700.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_3702.jpg
    IMG_3702.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 268

adam

Member III
Interesting. Thanks Gazibara.

I'll look into that fiberglass "tube" and see if I can find it. And my stove will be further in front of yours so there will be even more space behind it.

It looks like your galley actually underwent some major changes over the years. The entire shelves behind the stove have been removed. Do you want to see pictures of mine?

p.gazibara

Member III
Galley Photos

I'd love to see some galley pics of other 35-2's. Cinderella was gutted to bare hull when I bought her, so I have been working pretty hard to get her to a good place to take her around the world. She didn't even come with a companionway ladder.

-P

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Companion way ladder

Did someone say companion way ladder? I still have the one from my 28+.

Attachments

• PICT0024 (600x800).jpg
    PICT0024 (600x800).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 227

adam

Member III
Gazibara,

I'll try to get you those photos soon. Hopefully someone else can help out too though because my galley is only partially original/complete.

I think I found that semi-circle of fiberglass. It seems that it might be there to hold up the cabinets which you are missing. But what I can't figure out is there it terminates. I don't see it in the companionway locker. All I have there is the icebox. Any idea?

Cheers,
-A