• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Olson 34 wanted

NEWS

15 year sailor of Olson 911SE and live it. Seeking an Olson 34 to move up to....

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Kathy sez that if you buy ours, she can finally get an Ericson 38 ! :)
I looked on Google and you are about 2600 miles from us.
However, air travel is estimated at under 7 hours. I imagine that an Olson 34 might be a tad over the weight limit for Checked Baggage. :rolleyes:

So if you have an F-450 diesel pickup and a triple-axel trailer handy that is rated to tow an 11K # boat, let me know.
:egrin:

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

NEWS

Actually, I'm interested! Let's chat! Blake.ragghianti@gmail.com

QUOTE=Loren Beach;99945]Kathy sez that if you buy ours, she can finally get an Ericson 38... :)
I looked on Google and you are about 2600 miles from us.
However, air travel is estimated at under 7 hours. I imagine that an Olson 34 might be a tad over the weight limit for Checked Baggage. :rolleyes:

So if you have an F-450 diesel pickup and a triple axel trailer handy, let me know.
:egrin:

Cheers,
Loren[/QUOTE]

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I shipped my 32 by truck from San Diego to good old Erie, PA in 1995 and it was not that big of a deal. Once the mast was down, I put in two full days of prep work stripping the mast, removing the stanchions, and filling all the stanchion holes with epoxy - but the stanchion stuff was a combination of me being persnickety and planning to reinforce the bases anyway. It was a no-brainer easy move as far as the trucker was concerned. I did a lot of work on the Erie side refurbishing the mast, cutting backing plates out of stainless steel (if only I'd known about G10 then), and painting the deck, but the only signs of the cross-country drive were some diesel soot stains on the transome that eventually came off with Soft Scrub and a Magic Eraser sponge, and a bit of varnish chafing where a cardboard box was bumping up against a cabinet. I think it cost $1 a mile, but giving the trucker two weeks of flexibility on either side so he could saddle up other cargo had a huge effect on the price. I think he ended up taking two boats on that trip, and mine was the first to get on and the last to get off.

NEWS

Thank you all!

Thank you everyone for replying! The good news is that I don't think I'll be moving to an Olson 34'.... the 911 we have (and love tenderly) hit a massive bolder in Canada surfing down a wave at 10.5 knots. There was some severe damage to the keel and ribs, BUT after having several great repairmen look at it, the damage is not as bad as we feared. Each of the people that looked at the boat were shocked at how solidly the hull was built and how little damage actually occurred given the impact, etc. Hopefully our insurance sees fit to repair her because she is in incredibly good shape and probably has another 30 years of sailing in her. Thanks all so much for writing back! Long live the Olson design!