• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need replacement rudder pics or specifications 1968 E30

alohaericson30

While we were out sailing the other day our rudder broke off 20 miles off shore and is sitting in 5,000 feet of water now, so it looks like I might need to get a replacement. I doubt I am going to be able to find a used one out here in Hawaii so I think I am going to have to have a new one fabricated. I was wondering if anyone out there might have the specifications or maybe pictures of one out there that could help the builder in the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PDX

Member III
If you want to replace the rudder to exact factory size, based on old notes I have, the vertical measurement is 40 inches. The chord length (front to back) is 20 1/2 inches.

For overall shape, this is the best picture I have:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ericson_30,_1968_blue,_showing_keel_and_rudder.jpg
    Ericson_30,_1968_blue,_showing_keel_and_rudder.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 344

ChrisS

Member III
Foss Foam

Call Foss Foam in California. They likely made the original rudder and will be the most economical way to get a replacement.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
While we were out sailing the other day our rudder broke off 20 miles off shore and is sitting in 5,000 feet of water now, so it looks like I might need to get a replacement. I doubt I am going to be able to find a used one out here in Hawaii so I think I am going to have to have a new one fabricated. I was wondering if anyone out there might have the specifications or maybe pictures of one out there that could help the builder in the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm glad you were able to get the boat back to a marina! Did you get a tow or did you make it back under some kind of temporary rudder?
Post a few pictures of whats left of the shaft and fill us in on the failure mode when you get things sorted out. After replacing my rudder and seeing all the hidden corrosion on my shaft I'm always trying to see what others look like.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, tell us more. This hasn't happened often.

Tiller, right? Any predictive signs or noises or behaviors?

Bad luck, but new rudders aren't too expensive and you'll be way ahead of the rest of us.

CTOlsen

Member III
Replacement Rudder

I replaced my rudder about 3 years ago through Foss Foam in Newport Beach, CA. They have one-for-one replacements for most Ericsons and were the OEM in many cases. I was able to work with them to modify the rudder to increase the aspect ratio. Cost to replace was about $2K.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Jamestown-20120324-00035.jpg
    Jamestown-20120324-00035.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Chesapeake-20120325-00039.jpg
    Chesapeake-20120325-00039.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Olson 34 Schumacher Rudder.jpg
    Olson 34 Schumacher Rudder.jpg