• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What Universal Diesel Is This?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know which Universal motor this is? Suspected M-18. Or is it an M-15? Or M-5411? 1984 Ericson 30+. Any way to tell from the photo?

Thanks,

Doug

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCF4296.jpg
    DSCF4296.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Does anyone know which Universal motor this is? Suspected M-18. Or is it a M-5411? 1984 Ericson 30+.

Thanks,

Doug

attachment.php
Well, if these are my two choices then I would say it's an M-18 because the engine in the picture, like an M-18, is fresh water cooled whereas a 5411 is raw water cooled. I had an M-18 in a 27 footer I used to own and it looks like what I see in the picture.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Alan. Does anyone know what the stock engine was on the E30+? Were there different options? The M15 and the M18 look similar to me in the very few photos I can find on the web. The 5411 does look different.

Thanks

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Alan. Does anyone know what the stock engine was on the E30+? Were there different options? The M15 and the M18 look similar to me in the very few photos I can find on the web. The 5411 does look different.

Thanks
Until someone can answer this more definitively, back when I was considering an E30+ I did notice several of them that were fitted with M-18's.

The M-18 is a great engine, by the way.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I think the stock engines on the E30+ were either of the 5411 raw water cooled or the 5416 fresh water cooled.
Frank

Ensenada Crab

Member I
That's no 5416

having recently purchased a 5416 and ran around (for a while) trying to be sure of the correct model number, i can say for sure, there is no hose coming out of the "bottom" of the water pump at the top of the v-belt on a 5416.
capture-20181116-154244.jpg

Last edited:

Second Star

Member III
Which engine

It appears to be the M18 without the alternator retrofit attachment kit. The kit changed the mounting for the alt to prevent destroying the engine casing when the mount failed, a common problem apparently.