• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cringe! Australian Yacht club Marina collapses during heavy rains and flood tides.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Cringe! Australian Yacht club Marina collapses during heavy rains and flood tides

https://youtu.be/xBJBtVSuoVU
Wow!
I don't know if you remember this, Jeff, but something similar (but on a smaller scale) happened at the old Fleitz Bros. Marina, located where the new marina is, which is straight east from where your old Ericson 27 used to be. I may be remembering the date wrong, but I think it was early in 1998. Anyway, there was a huge windstorm from the SE and some of the rotting pilings at Fleitz gave way. An entire finger of boats broke loose and blew over to the area that used to be Shelter Point Boatyard.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the same windstorm that did serious damage to some buildings in Long Beach.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow!
I don't know if you remember this, Jeff, but something similar (but on a smaller scale) happened at the old Fleitz Bros. Marina, located where the new marina is, which is straight east from where you old Ericson 27 used to be. I may be remembering the date wrong, but I think it was early in 1998. Anyway, there was a huge windstorm from the SE and some of the rotting pilings at Fleitz gave way. An entire finger of boats broke loose and blew over to the area that used to be Shelter Point Boatyard.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the same windstorm that did serious damage to some buildings in Long Beach.

Hi Alan, I did't move to Pedro until November of 2002. But yes I heard about it. I was at Cabrillo Marina when the Bait Barge broke it's moorings and drifted into the Marina though. I still have the life ring from Rusty's Bait Barge hanging on my fence in my back yard as a souvenir. I also heard about the Storm of 1983 that took out a large section of the break wall in-between the lighthouse and Cabrillo Beach. The Pacific Ocean is a force to be reckoned with at times. That wall still needs reinforcing IMHO.

Cheers!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
When I saw "collapses" I thought... more like gravity instead of current.

Several years back we had a big snowstorm up here in the PNW. Couple of feet of snow. And then it switched to rain without really warming up, so all that snow soaked up water like a sponge and got really heavy. A number of building roofs collapsed under the load, but the real headline-news was when the shed-roof structures collapsed over the covered docks at the Edmonds marina. Something like 200 boats were smashed and/or sunk.

(mostly powerboats, though, so... no ericsons ;-)

Similar collapses at other marinas in the area.

http://myedmondsnews.com/2010/12/on...ow-collapses-roofs-at-port-of-edmonds-marina/

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19961230&slug=2367505