• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Searching for parts!

KLSorenson

Greetings!

We recently bought an 1973 Ericson 27 in our home port of Ashland, Wisconsin.

There are a few fixer-uper aesthetic parts that need replacing on the exterior, including the front metal bumper piece directly under the front pulpit.
If anyone is scrapping any 27s or similar Ericsons and have a possible replacement, please send me an email at katherine.sorenson@prescott.edu, or call me directly at 414.595.4932.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Lucky Dog

Member III
Bow aluminum 'bumper'

If no one has one, I have the pattern to cast a new one and am planning to cast them....maybe this summer. My furnace is down for repairs...ceramic lining. FWIW

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Recurring question with some past site discussion:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?99-Rubrail-and-End-Caps

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...-Seeking-rub-rail-end-cap-for-1976-23-Ericson

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?10847-Rub-rail-stern-cap-for-sale

I would still suggest just making a mold and laying up some new 'caps'.
It would not have to be perfect -- just get the shape and angle right. The resulting part would be faired out and painted.

Loren

KLSorenson

If no one has one, I have the pattern to cast a new one and am planning to cast them....maybe this summer. My furnace is down for repairs...ceramic lining. FWIW

Hey there!!! If you plan on casting new front bumpers I would absolutely love to buy one from you!
Let me know as your plans progress!

Katherine

KLSorenson

We are located in Ashland, Wisconsin, but travel all around the Apostle Islands, hoping to make an Isle Royale trip late this summer!!
Where are you??

Lucky Dog

Member III
On the hard...rebuilding soft decks, in Afton.
Planning on Port Superior.

Dug out the pattern this weekend.

ml

KLSorenson

Excellent, I'm sick of everyone in the marina thinking we have incredibly poor docksmanship. Previous owner must've hit something very solid, ours is barely hanging on.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
UV barrier

I have the solid modeling CAD drawings, wonder is a 3D printed one would hold up in the sun?
ml

For plastic compounds, the "secret" is to just shield them from the UV rays from Old Sol.
I would paint the surface of your new bow molding. LPU might be ideal for shine, but the cost to do a small item is disproportionately high. A one part epoxy paint would do the job nicely... the thing is to protect it with something.
You can get the color right with some careful shopping, too.

This is equally true for a UV-exposed patch on the deck, like the surface layer of any epoxy repair.

Loren

Lucky Dog

Member III
I have thought about creating a die cast and use ground up Legos missed with MEK.
I have made some some parts that way.
humm

KLSorenson

I really have no idea how long this casting would take or how much this type of work would cost, how does $60 sound?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Just to be the devil on the other shoulder... I recently saw a photo of a little bolt-on bowsprit that is bolted to a boat below the rub-rail. Which got me to thinking that one could fashion a short sprit that would replace the bow cap and the front part of the rub-rail. Make a nice platform for a good anchor-roller or two. A place to attach the assym.

But then again, I have my intact bow cap :egrin:

People just assume that I run into things because my bow has been side-swiped twice while innocently tied up in the marina. :mad: All I know is that one of them had white paint, which doesn't narrow it down much.

Last edited: