• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bilge filth

tabaka

Ugh. The years of accumulated slime and diesel from the leaking tank have turned into a type of tar that just won't come off.
I cut the sole out yesterday and got to work cutting out the iron mast step and bulkheads.

I spent a couple hours in there with a steamer and shop vac making no real progress to clean up the mess. I tried some simple green to cut the oil but that didn't really do anything either.
It's moderately cleaner than it was but it's still filthy and greasy. Certainly nothing I'd want to try and put fresh epoxy onto.

My feeling of accomplishment at getting all that iron slag out of there is damped by the rash covering my arms from whatever was in that gunk.

Any suggestions on an aggressive cleaner degreaser that won't harm the glass? I'm not afraid to take a pressure washer in there

gadangit

Member III
Ugh. The years of accumulated slime and diesel from the leaking tank have turned into a type of tar that just won't come off.
I cut the sole out yesterday and got to work cutting out the iron mast step and bulkheads.

I spent a couple hours in there with a steamer and shop vac making no real progress to clean up the mess. I tried some simple green to cut the oil but that didn't really do anything either.
It's moderately cleaner than it was but it's still filthy and greasy. Certainly nothing I'd want to try and put fresh epoxy onto.

My feeling of accomplishment at getting all that iron slag out of there is damped by the rash covering my arms from whatever was in that gunk.

Any suggestions on an aggressive cleaner degreaser that won't harm the glass? I'm not afraid to take a pressure washer in there

That brings back memories! We did everything you are doing, but also involved a wire brush and occasionally a wire wheel on a drill. Lots of simple green, that orange degreaser stuff and time is about all you can do. Keep it up, you will get to a satisfactory spot eventually!

And wear some gloves and a long sleeve shirt!

Chris

tabaka

Thanks. The gloves and sleeves didn't help me much. I think it was the steam that aerosolized the old diesel volatiles that got me. Between the glass fibers shredding the gloves, the vapor getting up into the sleeves of my suit, and combined with it being 120 degrees inside the boat... ugh.

I'll try the orange stuff and maybe let it soak for a bit.

Did you paint it after cleaning? I can't imagine this ever getting clean enough to get a paint to etch and stick.

gadangit

Member III
Thanks. The gloves and sleeves didn't help me much. I think it was the steam that aerosolized the old diesel volatiles that got me. Between the glass fibers shredding the gloves, the vapor getting up into the sleeves of my suit, and combined with it being 120 degrees inside the boat... ugh.

I'll try the orange stuff and maybe let it soak for a bit.

Did you paint it after cleaning? I can't imagine this ever getting clean enough to get a paint to etch and stick.

Yes, paint and fiberglass with epoxy have both stuck. So far...

Come to Houston, I'll show you 120 degrees in a boat!

Chris

gadangit

Member III
Here are a couple of pics I dug up. The first one is just moments after the diesel was yanked out. Yes, that is a puddle of the darkest ugliest smelliest oil diesel sludge you ever did see. The other is a progress shot on its way to smelling and looking better. You'll get there too. And you'll smile and laugh looking back like I just did.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 4-20-13 019.jpg
    4-20-13 019.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 4-21-2013 001.jpg
    4-21-2013 001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 133

gadangit

Member III
And here is one all the way to the bottom of the bilge right after we cut out the sole. There is 40+ years of accumulated oil, diesel, shower water (ick), tools, a phone and other flotsam. As you know, you can't reach the bottom so there were tense moments when I thought I was a goner stuck face down with my arms below me holding a long handled brush and no leverage to push/pull myself back out. Good times!

Chris
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAG0243.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 171