• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Universeal 5411 1981 Air Filter

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Respected Sailors
Maybe 30 years ago I thought I read that a marine diesel does not need a air filter as there are few contaminants in engine bilge? Welll. A friend told me I was wrong so I took my filter apart for the first time in 35 years and there is nothing there except a very oily round big screen. The squares are huge so I am pretty sure that there was foam or paper that has decomposed years ago and been eaten by the intake. What do you think I should do now? I bought some filter foam from a diesel dealer and I am thinking of making my own filter.. The existin filter case is welded on to the end of the rubber intake hose. The dealer was little help. They do Kubota Farm Tractors and it is all numbers to them?
Any ideas for me?
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Air Filter?

Pat: My M-12 does not have an element inside of the air intake canister. I found no evidence that it ever did have one. Just a coarse screen.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Al Hi Loren
Thanks for the reply(s). That counsel is just what I was looking for. I had searched with the EY search box and did not get a hit. Not to worry tho a friend googled the issue and was led right to EY advice. Not as good as your advice tho. I'm going to clean it up and close it up. The engine area is pretty clean after 35 years so I think I have passed the filter stress test years ago. Thanks again!
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Chips Universal 5411

Pat C.

Member III
I would respectfully submit that not having a good air filter is a mistake that could lead to costly repairs. The fact that the original filters are garbage does not dissuade that opinion. The filter you are describing likely had a foam wrap that went around that mesh screen at some time. The problem is the foam can deteriorate and send particles through the engine. Aftermarket filters are cheap and much better made. Not sure of mine's ID, can try to check next time I'm up there.

Diesel engines love to run and will run trouble free for a long time. All they ask is clean air, fuel and oil. Take away any of those, or don't use it regularly then you are asking for trouble.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Hi Pat
Thanks for the counsel. I agree with you. Yesterday I was looking at the engine compartment again and it looks 32 years old but virtually no belt dust or oil mist. I'll think I will shop for a aftermarket filter but not at the top of the to do list. I think there was foam in the filter but it has been consumed many many years ago. I bought some foam at the Kubota Dealer but did not put it in as it just did not look sturdy enough or temperature stable.
Best Regards
Pat

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just ordered [h=1]K&N RA-0470 High Performance Universal Air Filter[/h]
attachment.php

Attachments

• K&N.jpg
    K&N.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 429

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Hi Pat
Thanks for the counsel. I agree with you. Yesterday I was looking at the engine compartment again and it looks 32 years old but virtually no belt dust or oil mist. I'll think I will shop for a aftermarket filter but not at the top of the to do list. I think there was foam in the filter but it has been consumed many many years ago. I bought some foam at the Kubota Dealer but did not put it in as it just did not look sturdy enough or temperature stable.
Best Regards
Pat

Pat,

the foam filter goes on the outside of the mesh cage.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Pat,

the foam filter goes on the outside of the mesh cage.

Hi Keith Thanks to you and all. Boat neighbor found the original foam filter element at Westerbeke.com here on the east coast so I ordered it up. $12 for the foam filter element $12 for ground UPS. It only takes 15 minutes to install so I will be all set.
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E 28+ Universal 5411

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Universal 5411 Air Filter

Hi Respected Sailors
Thank for sticking with me during this trivial issue... I replaced the OEM filter with another OEM filter ystdy. You are all right! The OEM filter looks nice but it is garbage. No real filtering going on at all with the OEM filter. Probably I have proven from experience that not much is needed. I don't think there was a element in there for 20 - 25 years. When I blew on the air intake there did not seem to be any filtering going on with the new element. I am going to look into those K and N filters. They look pretty nice but may interfere with the bottom of the deck. I think I am good to go for the time being. Need to get some sailing in. Launched Memorial Day and the weather has not been good when we could get out.
Thanks for all your help!
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Universsal 5411