• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Isotherm refrigeration E35-3

MMLOGAN

Member III
This actually turned out to be a painless project:egrin:

We decided on a Isotherm 2012 Compact classic. The draw and space requirements were closer to our needs than any other product. After measuring the volume of the of the existing rear ice box we decided to reduce the inside dimensions to get near 6 feet of total volume. We used small pieces of Pinksulate R5 to fill in the well at the very bottom and then continued with larger and larger pieces until we had two full sheets across the bottom and one full sheet across the starboard side (outside) wall. The foam can be cut with anything serrated. We used a surfoam rasp to get the angles and corners to conform.
The Pinksulate is a summer fix with plans to cast a new fiberglass skin inside the existing structure this fall. We put in a new drain through the foam and tied it into the original drain in the box. You can see the tube sticking up prior to being cut off. The evaporator plate was 32 inches long and we bent it over the provided curved form to end up with a 90 degree turn in the forward portion of the box. This meant we had to trim the shelves. The thermostat was placed up under the shelf as to be easy to reach and out of the way.
attachment.php

By using the tilt out drawer above the counter top for reference we were able accurately estimate where to penetrate the ice box from the outside. I was surprised to find 6 inches of insulation between the plywood bulkhead and skin of the ice box on the rear of the box. This hole was covered with aluminum tape and back filled with expanding spray foam.
attachment.php

We installed the air cooled compressor on the top shelf in the starboard lazerette. This was the best location for the hard line to run and it keeps the unit out of harms way. By pressing the hard line into the corner of the fan shroud we hope it will not get bonked.
attachment.php

After making a standoff and a cover plate the starter battery can reinstalled without fear of crushing anything of value. We also ran a hose to the rear starboard transom vent. The wiring was 12 gauge and run to the refrigerator breaker on the 12 volt panel.
attachment.php

This was all accomplished on a Saturday. This is what we found in the fridge on Sunday morning:
attachment.php

We turned the thermostat down from 11 so that nothing will burst in our new fridge. We will see what we have next weekend.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 20160522_121113r.jpg
    20160522_121113r.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 20160521_104350r.jpg
    20160521_104350r.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 499
  • 20160521_164556r.jpg
    20160521_164556r.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 504
  • 20160521_172241r.jpg
    20160521_172241r.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 512
  • flir_20160522T121546.jpg
    flir_20160522T121546.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 494

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi Matt,
Small world.
Last month we replaced our deceased fridge with an Isotherm 2001. Working fine so far.
:)

Their mounting system with the separate "sled" for the compressor is a nifty bit of engineering, IMHO.

Loren

MMLOGAN

Member III
Sled

Hi Matt,
Small world.
Last month we replaced our deceased fridge with an Isotherm 2001. Working fine so far.
:)

Their mounting system with the separate "sled" for the compressor is a nifty bit of engineering, IMHO.

Loren

Agreed. I would prefer that the release tabs have a little more of a lip, but, all in all a great design. Very quiet and easy to install.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Update on draw and performance

Observations after spending the first three weeks of June on the hook.

Works much better than expected.
We averaged 1.78 ah draw for the whole trip.
Was able to maintain the temperature in the fridge between 36 and 41 degrees. Varied based on amount of food in fridge.
Draw was much less when the fridge was full of food.
Found that we could freeze liquids and other items if we placed them next to the cold plate.

Overall, completely satisfied with the product. Can't hear it run. Draws less than advertised with the correct insulation. Ericson did a great job of insulating around the original ice box tub.

Let's hope it continues like this for many years!

Last edited:

gadangit

Member III
All good things to hear. I bought this same unit a couple months ago to go into my soon to be finished refrigerator. Thanks for the update!

Chris

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pretty impressive, Matt. When I turn on my Dometic unit, it draws 6 amps. What's the initial draw on the new one?

MMLOGAN

Member III
No idea on start up

Christian,

I only watched my total/average so that I could maintain my house bank. I would think 6 or more amps on start up since it has to fight the head pressure in the system. Next time I'm on the boat I'll watch the shunt as it cycles.