• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39 resurrection

Guy Stevens

Tanks

The two tanks are sent to a 3 way valve (Really a two way valve but they call them a 3 way valve... Don't ask me).

The returns also go through a 3 way valve on the way back to the tanks.

You can draw out of and return to either tank at any time.

This worked great for us, for 10's of thousands of miles.

Pumping between tanks was not something that we found to be really as useful as you might think. We liked keeping the tanks separate in case of contamination or other bad fuel.

Guy
:)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh, and Dan--I forgot to say, speaking maybe for many, what a heroic undertaking you've dived into. You clearly have a good eye for the work and know the commitment.

The site is at its best with projects like yours, and as you can see there's a lot of first-hand knowledge here.

Twenty years ago restorations were frustrating and it often took Sherlock Holmes just to find the identity of some oxidized part.

The Internet has changed that, and makes it a great time to be saving old boats.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
holes/tubes in transom

Sorry if someone already responded about this, and I missed it.
Off-shore racing boats used to have an emergency MOB danbuoy in tubes like that (they were only open at the transom - the other end was sealed). The tubes held a long rigid pole, with a weight and buoyancy ring at one end, and an orange flag at the other (fancy ones had a water-activated light too). In a MOB situation, someone immediately reached over the stern and yanked out the whole contraption via a tether hanging out of the tube, often attached to the aft railing. The MOB buoy would float with it's flag ~5-6 feet in the air ... sort-of close to where the MOB happened, and presumably drifting in the same direction as the MOB. I've never had to deploy one in anger, but practice deployments went very well (gave us all a false sense that if we went MOB, the boat would come back and find us easily. :-| Nowadays, you just punch the MOB button on your satnav and you're golden.
Could this be the purpose of those 'reverse torpedo' tubes?
Good luck on the restoration!!
Neil

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Sorry if someone already responded about this, and I missed it.
Off-shore racing boats used to have an emergency MOB danbuoy in tubes like that (they were only open at the transom - the other end was sealed). The tubes held a long rigid pole, with a weight and buoyancy ring at one end, and an orange flag at the other (fancy ones had a water-activated light too). In a MOB situation, someone immediately reached over the stern and yanked out the whole contraption via a tether hanging out of the tube, often attached to the aft railing. The MOB buoy would float with it's flag ~5-6 feet in the air ... sort-of close to where the MOB happened, and presumably drifting in the same direction as the MOB. I've never had to deploy one in anger, but practice deployments went very well (gave us all a false sense that if we went MOB, the boat would come back and find us easily. :-| Nowadays, you just punch the MOB button on your satnav and you're golden.
Could this be the purpose of those 'reverse torpedo' tubes?
Good luck on the restoration!!
Neil
Quick comment on the Danbuoy: This device recently saved the life of a friend of mine. Val was at the tiller of a Farr 40 on the most recent Newport to Ensenada race when the boat broached, threw him into the tiller, breaking his collar bone, and then overboard through the lifelines. It was dusk at the the time. He was not tethered in nor wearing a life jacket. One of the crew members deployed the danbuoy. He was able to make his way to it and straddle it. He was in the water for about half an hour while they got the boat under control and made their way back to him. The strobe made it possible for them to find him in the sea conditions and diminishing light. He's very happy to be alive.

tabaka

Interesting idea. A buoy would fit in them but I'm pretty sure these were just cabin vents of some kind. They have about 6 feet of 4 inch aluminum pipe then there is a reducer and another 4 or 5 feet of inch and a half pipe that runs through the wall and into the space behind the cabinets. They run downhill and show no sign of ever being capped or connected to anything. 20160522_115948.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
MOB pole launcher

In-hull launchers actually are pretty neat.

Ericson included an indentation in the upper transom of the E-33RH in case the buyer wanted a pvc tube glassed in for the MOB pole. Note that Forespar sells a pole with a slimmer float cross section for just this purpose.
The drill is to have your horseshoe buoy mounted, ready to go. Some yellow floating line goes to the small sea-anchor attached to it. Another length of yellow line goes to the MOB pole float bridle and is pushed into the launch tube with the pole.

In use, you throw the horseshoe overboard with its sea-anchor, and that in turn instantly drags the MOB pole straight astern out of its storage/launch cave.

Of course, it's always better if all hands stay tethered to the boat in the first place! :rolleyes:

Loren

ps: it's interesting that some folks think that safety gear like this is only for "racers" when in fact an easily-deployed MOB system is even more important for short handed cruisers. :)

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sure looks like a pole launcher.

A MOB pole can also mount vertically in a piece of PVC on the backstay, connected to the horseshoe and its sea anchor. They can be deployed pretty quickly too.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pole solutions

Sure looks like a pole launcher.

A MOB pole can also mount vertically in a piece of PVC on the backstay, connected to the horseshoe and its sea anchor. They can be deployed pretty quickly too.

Yup, good solution, as always.
:nerd:

We went with a piece of pvc lashed to the vertical part of the stern pulpit. Pictured at this link and some others in our Album on this site:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/album.php?albumid=26&attachmentid=15389

An E-38 just down the dock from me has his on an ss tube welded to the slanting pulpit upright. very 'custom' looking. :)
And then there is Grizz' fine looking Olson 34, back in Chicago, with a custom bracket for holding the MOB pole, on the backstay.

Anything (!) is better than the way the PO had our boat rigged for this: the MOB pole was lashed to the aft lower lifeline, which restricted entry from that side at the dock. And, would make the pole darned hard to deploy. Oh My.
:0

Regards,
Loren