propellor selection

Captainken

Member I
I have a Ericson 32, 1987 which I've owned since 2002. Upon deciding to do a trip from Cape Cod to Florida via near shore/intracoastal in 2003, my mechanic suggested a 3 blade prop to replace the maxi prop the boat came with. I now have a very worn and pitted 13" 3 blade w/12 pitch that I'm trying to replace. I've narrowed my search to two Michigan propellers. Their MP3(which they recommended) or the Sailer 3 which seems to be slightly more streamlined. I do a lot of motoring between sailing opportunities but I still want to keep the drag down when I do sail. Can anybody help me from their experience or information?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have a Ericson 32, 1987 which I've owned since 2002. Upon deciding to do a trip from Cape Cod to Florida via near shore/intracoastal in 2003, my mechanic suggested a 3 blade prop to replace the maxi prop the boat came with. I now have a very worn and pitted 13" 3 blade w/12 pitch that I'm trying to replace. I've narrowed my search to two Michigan propellers. Their MP3(which they recommended) or the Sailer 3 which seems to be slightly more streamlined. I do a lot of motoring between sailing opportunities but I still want to keep the drag down when I do sail. Can anybody help me from their experience or information?

We have a similar-displacement boat. It came with a two blade fixed prop. Then, for a decade, we used a two blade feathering prop and picked up almost a knot of speed under sail, with a slight loss of push under power. Now for several seasons are using a "sailor" (narrow blade) three blade fixed prop. Under power it lives up to all the hype -- we motor @ 7 kts all the time @ cruising rpm's. OTOH, under sail the extra drag costs us at least a half kt and sometimes more.

There just is no 'free lunch' when it comes to props... and if our budget can take the strain we will someday switch to a three blade featherer. The efficiency drops a bit due to the straight blades of the feathering type, but from what I can find out the extra blade area of a three (or even a four) blade makes up for it.
High priced, though. (Around $2800. last I checked.) :0

One other little caveat: if you buy a Michigan brand, have it checked for QC of the pitch on each blade by Prop-Scan. Ours was a half inch off on two blades on a brand new prop. Our local prop shop told me that other prop builders provide a QC spec sheet with each prop -- which probably costs them under a buck to do....... Not like I have a sarcastic opinion or anything!

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
My Yanmar 1GM is a bit underpowered for my E26, so I need to maximize what motoring performance I can get out of it with a good prop. The prop that came with the boat was a large, Dumbo-eared Michigan Wheel 3-blade. It worked quite well under power, giving me surprisingly good motoring performance considering my diminutive engine. But the drag from those blades: yikes!

A few months ago I replaced it with a Campbell Sailer 3 blade. (This is not to be confused with the Michigan prop you mentioned under a similar name.) This is sold by West by North Enterprises. The performance under power is equivalent, with the exception of reverse, which is a bit anemic compared to before. But reverse is good enough. As for under sail, since I don't race the boat I don't have an objective baseline against which to compare the difference. But I *know* it has to be better based on the surface area of the blades alone. Subjectively, it does seem better, especially in light air. I'd have to think I picked up around half a knot--but again, that's just a wild guess.

Maine Sail has done extensive testing on the Campbell Sailer prop here: http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/prop-review-campbell-sailor.112587/ His recommendation influenced me significantly in my purchasing decision. I will also say that I was entirely satisfied with the tech support of the company that sells these.

I've attached pictures of both props so you can see the before and after.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo Feb 18, 11 27 06 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 18, 11 27 06 AM.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 233
  • Photo Feb 18, 8 13 25 AM.jpg
    Photo Feb 18, 8 13 25 AM.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I have the Michigan sailor 3 blade on my E-26. For reference it is about half way between the blade widths of the two pictures Alan posted. I am running a 12" diameter 11" pitch but I just had it re pitched to a 10" pitch because I was just short of being able to reach full rpm at wide open throttle. Its the only prop I have had on my boat so I don't have much to compare it to.
attachment.php

I'll see if I can find a picture to show the profile from an inline view for comparison.
That's a nice prop Alan! what is the size and pitch?

Attachments

• E-26prop.jpg
    E-26prop.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 385

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Randy,
It's a 12" x 6.5" pitch. The Campbell Sailers require less pitch than a conventional prop of the same diameter/number of blades. Plus, my 1GM is a less powerful engine than yours. (Mine is a 1GM, not a 1GM10.)

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have the Michigan sailor 3 blade on my E-26. For reference it is about half way between the blade widths of the two pictures Alan posted. I am running a 12" diameter 11" pitch but I just had it re pitched to a 10" pitch because I was just short of being able to reach full rpm at wide open throttle. Its the only prop I have had on my boat so I don't have much to compare it to.
attachment.php

I'll see if I can find a picture to show the profile from an inline view for comparison.
I almost cut myself on those pictures! :)

Captainken

Member I
propeller selection

thanks to all you guys for all the great info! I went with the Michigan wheel "sailor". Now comes the hard part--waiting for delivery! I expect to launch before that so I'll clean up the old prop and prepare to dive down with the new one when it arrives.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I almost cut myself on those pictures! :)

Yea Alan, I had a few close calls with crab pots in the middle of the channel last year so I decided it was time for a line cutter. I hope it works because the new cutter would make a stuck line extra tricky/dangerous to remove if it did manage to get tangled in spite of the cutter.

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
thanks to all you guys for all the great info! I went with the Michigan wheel "sailor". Now comes the hard part--waiting for delivery! I expect to launch before that so I'll clean up the old prop and prepare to dive down with the new one when it arrives.

Cappn'Ken You might consider loosening up the old prop while out on the hard where its easy to put a bit of torque onto it. Mine was REALLY stuck hard on the shaft on account of a less than perfectly cut shaft taper. It had to be pressed off by the professionals.