• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sail Identification

lonokai

Member III
How does one identify the Genoa/Jib in the absence of any knowledge of the actual size of the sail or any markings on it?

dt222

Member III
I think it may be as simple as measuring the foot (bottom) of the sail. The distance between the tack (attached to the forward most part of the boat) and the clew (where you attach the sheets) is the J measurement. For an E'27, whether a standard rig or tall rig, this measurement should be 11.25 feet). A jib would be 11.25 or less, a genoa greater than 11.25. The size of a genoa is expressed as a percentage of the foretriangle measurement (in essence a larger genoa overlaps the mast more).

Don

I—distance between top of forestay and the foredeck
J—distance from forestay chainplate to mast
P—distance from boom to top of mast
E—length of boom

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That's assuming that you are looking at the proper sail for your boat... not something in the used bin at the chandlery. Neither of the foresails that came with my boat were even remotely the right shape. They were apparently meant for some fractional rig. PO must have got them from Craigslist or something.

I may try rigging one of them as an awning in the back yard or something. Except they're pretty dirty.

BTW: The new sails that I bought came with nice descriptions, measurements, and Boat ID stenciled onto the sail bags.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If you're wondering about a sail that came with the boat, hoist it and post a picture. Might get some opinions.

If considering a used sail, it's all about the measurements first--then the material, and age, and cut.

Sails over 10 years old are pretty much free, or should be.