• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cutless bearing 1977 e27

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Need to replace the bearing. Bought the strut pro tool only to discover that my strut hole opening is 1 inch instead of what you would expect, inch and a quarter. A standard "able" bearing is 3/4 ID and 1 1/4 OD. So not only can I not use the tool to remove the old bearing, no one seems to make a 1 inch diameter bearing. Surely mine is not the only boat to have this issue? Help.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Not likely

Not to cast aspersions on your measuring skills. Never heard of a 1" OD cutlass bearing. My 73' 27 had an 1.25" OD and so does my 87' 28. How certain are you? I've attached a photo of my 28 cutlass bearing. Does your look like it?

Attachments

• PICT0042 (640x480).jpg
    PICT0042 (640x480).jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The Cutless bearing is both the neoprene rubber insert AND the bronze tube to which the rubber is magically adhered. If your strut has been painted it might be difficult to discern the bronze tube from the bronze strut.

I would not be surprised if the bronze tube of your 3/4" (neoprene inner diameter) bearing has a 1" (bronze inner diameter) diameter but a 1/8" thickness...which would give you the 1.25" bronze outer diameter of the standard "able" bearing.

You'll want to (carefully) cut two slices out of that bronze tube to get it out of the strut, using a Sawzall or a hacksaw assembled inside the strut. Then use a big "C" clamp, and probably a cheater bar, to squeeeeeeze the new bearing into place.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Not to cast aspersions on your measuring skills. Never heard of a 1" OD cutlass bearing. My 73' 27 had an 1.25" OD and so does my 87' 28. How certain are you? I've attached a photo of my 28 cutlass bearing. Does your look like it?

Aspersions would have been warranted, but really to my boat yard folks. Upon further review, conversations with a couple of manufacturers, the folks who build and sell the Strut Pro., and just thinking about it, I thought this was pretty much impossible. No way to build a bearing with only a 1/8 inch thick wall. So 15 minutes of sanding down the strut revealed, tada, the fact that the bronze part of the bearing and seam was, in fact, there, just covered in I have no clue how many years of buildup, and was, in fact 1.25 inch od. This after two mechanics looked at it and measured it. So, thank goodness for skepticism, the helpfulness of the manufacturers, this forum, the Strut Pro folks, and sand paper. The Strut Pro guy was awesome, he said "Ï don't want to be rude, but you have to be wrong". Very happy to be wrong. New bearing ordered.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
PS, I bet you could make a little money by renting out that Strutpro tool to members of this board. Avoiding removal of the shaft to change a Cutless bearing is worth a decent amount of money...though probably not as much as that tool costs.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
The Cutless bearing is both the neoprene rubber insert AND the bronze tube to which the rubber is magically adhered. If your strut has been painted it might be difficult to discern the bronze tube from the bronze strut.

I would not be surprised if the bronze tube of your 3/4" (neoprene inner diameter) bearing has a 1" (bronze inner diameter) diameter but a 1/8" thickness...which would give you the 1.25" bronze outer diameter of the standard "able" bearing.

You'll want to (carefully) cut two slices out of that bronze tube to get it out of the strut, using a Sawzall or a hacksaw assembled inside the strut. Then use a big "C" clamp, and probably a cheater bar, to squeeeeeeze the new bearing into place.

Thanks, after not thinking this was possible either I sanded the strut and found a standard Able type bearing.. Bought the Strut Pro tool and it is really a professional grade tool.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
PS, I bet you could make a little money by renting out that Strutpro tool to members of this board. Avoiding removal of the shaft to change a Cutless bearing is worth a decent amount of money...though probably not as much as that tool costs.

I would be happy to do that. My boat yard does not have one so they have to go the shaft removal sawzall route. (Man that sounds risky to me) And gee, on a 27 it appears that you have to take the rudder off to get the shaft out, so it can get real pricey. I am trying to work a deal that ends up with the boat yard buying the tool from me when we are done, but if not I would be happy to rent it out. Folks would have to buy the correct collet for their shaft and bearing size but those are $35 each, I think. You can even do the replacement while in the water if you are so equipped and inclined.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
You don't need to worry about this, but the Sawzall approach is not all that scary. When you get close to the strut the remaining thin metal can be tapped out with a chisel or screwdriver, or finished off with the hacksaw at slow speed. And a nick here and there is not a big deal.

I would not do that repair in the water for fear of dropping the tool, the prop, or the parts securing it into the Zone of Unrecoverability.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
You don't need to worry about this, but the Sawzall approach is not all that scary. When you get close to the strut the remaining thin metal can be tapped out with a chisel or screwdriver, or finished off with the hacksaw at slow speed. And a nick here and there is not a big deal.

I would not do that repair in the water for fear of dropping the tool, the prop, or the parts securing it into the Zone of Unrecoverability.

Long ago when I did a lot of diving I probably would have tried it, but those days are long gone. Don't have to pull the prop, so I am thinking after doing this a time or two to get the hang of it one could probably do the job in about a half hour or less. Could do it while in the slings, maybe power wash and quick coat of bottom paint at the same time?

I will take some photos of the process and post here (if I can figure out how).

Once again, this forum is awesome, Thanks to everyone who replied to this and all of my posts.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I'm looking forward to the photos of the Cutless replacement without having to pull the prop OR the shaft. That Strutpro is one h3ll of a tool!

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
I'm looking forward to the photos of the Cutless replacement without having to pull the prop OR the shaft. That Strutpro is one h3ll of a tool!

Nah, I am just an idiot. My prop, which was stolen, is not on the shaft, so of course I am not thinking about removing the prop. Unless the Strut Pro also has a whiz bang saw in it, of course you have to remove the prop. Duh. I am getting dopey, and dizzy, over how much effort , and money, it has taken to revive this boat. WHY DO WE OWN BOATS???? It is truly not the act of a sane person..... I used to sail OP boats. (Other people's) which was so nice. Sorry for being an idiot.