• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Out with the old. In with the new.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
My 28's Universal diesel had the same intermittent starting problems that many on this and other forums experienced. So decided to take the plunge and replace everything. My attempt to remove the existing panel intact was not successful. It had been well glued in place, was cracked in a number of places and severely UV degraded. I could not find a direct replacement and also wanted to add an hour meter for which there was no room on the original panel. I purchased a larger panel from Moyer Marine. Had to modify the existing cockpit hole and slightly trim the width of the Moyer panel so it would fit. Laid out and cut the appropriate holes in the panel for the new instruments and switches. Performed the recommended wiring modifications. Next step is reassembly on the boat but first want to use the now unencumbered access to the Whale Gusher manual bilge pump to find out why it doesn't do its job. Just one of the many spring projects planned before launch.

Attachments

• PICT0032 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    PICT0032 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 54
  • PICT0034 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    PICT0034 - Copy (640x480).jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 44
  • PICT0037 (640x480).jpg
    PICT0037 (640x480).jpg
    156 KB · Views: 66

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Gusher Pump

Hi Al
That new panel looks very nice. We noticed our gusher pump was not working last summer and we replaced after 35 years. The flapper valves were both rigid stiff and I could not get the salt water corroded screws out to replace them. Last day haul out we discovered the diver that cleaned the hull ripped off our external intake screen. One of the screws had penetrated the hull on installation in 82 (my bad.) The gusher came in very handy as the water was above the floorboards. Very fortunate that their was no damage. Neighbor loaned me his college window fan. We mounted it in the forward hatch for two dry days and the boat was bone dry. My wife says the boat smells better this Spring that ever before. :<{)))
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Universal 5411
Chips

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Take a good look at the trailer connector. Some of us have cut them out, just to assure happy electrons.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Trailer Connectors

I was surprised at how good a condition the trailer connectors were at both ends. I cleaned the terminals and applied dielectric grease before reassembly. Saw no reason for concern.