• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cabin Sole Replacement

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
* This message was a secondary message to
E35-3: "Stains and Rot in Teak" - also posted.

---------------------------

I'm looking into purchasing a 1986 E35 MKIII, and have problem.

This boat has experienced some leaks somewhere in the coach roof area that ended up running down the starboard side of the coachouse sides - staining the teak veneer, and in a couple of places, rotting it.

Have any of you experienced leaks like this - and what did you do about refinishing (or where necessary), replacing that veneer? How hard is it to do something like that? This boat has also got some leakages up in the forepeak of the bow - where I suspect the seal on the chain locker insert and an apparent rot in the edge of the cabin sole, in the head.

I also guess I should have mentioned that a small area in the cabin sole, in the head, along the forward edge (in front of the head itself) also sounded like some rot was taking hold. What about replacing a small section of the
cabin sole - has anyone done that??

Anyhow - any advice on leaking what you did (or can be done) is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean Engle
Tacoma, WA

Larry Modrcin

Sean: I replaced the cabin sole in a 34T and iwas not that bad. If you can save the existing for a patern it helps. Ipurchased the cabin sole for Eastern Teaks. a 4 X 8 sheet is about $150. Coat the under side and edges with Epoxy resin or the problem will occur again.

Larry
Wicked Wahini

Tom Brady

Sean-

I've done that. The piece I replaced was apparently in the same place you're talking about. I scribed a line across the sole at the furthest point aft I was going to replace, and carefullycut through the sole. I then removed the bad material, and cleaned the fiberglass. I bought a piece of 1/4" teak and holly plywood, cut it to size, using the removed piece as a template.

I stained it to match the existing sole, varnished it and put it in place. I secured it with 3M's 5200, which I applied with a notched trowel. I weighted the new piece down for several days, while the sealant was curing.

The upshot was, the replacement looks good, and is holding well.

Tom Brady
S/V Random Winds E-28

JM

Member I
Hello Larry!

Where is Eastern Teaks located? Do you have a number which I could use to get a hold of them? I would appreciate it very much!

Thank you. Jm.

Larry Modrcin

JM:

Appartently the place I purchased the teak sheets from will not supply any more. Sorry. You might contact Robin Bradshaw or Don Kohlman at Pacific Seacraft at 714-879-1610 and ask who they are using now for a supplier on the
teak and Holly sole. I orginally received the referral from Don.

Also if you look under teak on the internet there is everal suppliers.

Good Luck on the installation.

Larry
Wicked Wahini

JM

Member I
Hello Larry!

Thanks for the teak info. I will check it out with a WEB search. Need to know what I find out? Let me know.

Cheers! JM.