• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How much VC17 for a 27?

Time to repaint the e27 I bought last summer. It has VC17 on it. About how much paint will I need to recoat it? (It looks pretty good right now - no major blemishes or bare spots.)

Gary Holford

Member II
I have an E27 on Huron and I'll use one can. That being said I start on the waterline (where I get the most fouling) and work around and down from there. I also do the rudder and the leading edge of the keel. Depending on how it's going you can do a thin coat on the rest of the keel. In my case it's cosmetic cause I don't race. Once you get started don't dilly dally, the carrier evaporates fast. The stuff is expensive and seems to go up every year. You could also have a second can on standby. If you don't need it save it for next season. Just remember that once mixed there's no turning back. Any leftovers I use when she's lifted off the cradle. Cheers

woolamaloo

Member III
One "Quart" covers my 30+. But, Gary's right, you've got to keep moving.

I've got a pretty good system:
  • Drink a quart of Powerade and rinse, dry and save the bottle. (I'm sure Gatorade would work but Powerade has become tradition.)
  • Mask off your boot stripe.
  • Squeeze the copper powder out of one corner of the baggie and cut off that corner.
  • Empty the copper powder into the dry quart bottle.
  • Shake the paint in the can and then empty the entire can into the bottle with the copper powder.
  • Shake, shake shake to mix the copper and the paint.
  • Pour about a quarter cup into a small paint tray designed for a 4" roller and use a 4" foam roller to paint the entire hull. You'll get about 3-4 loads of paint from that quarter cup before you have to put more paint in.
  • Of course, don't paint over your zincs or your depth sounder.
  • I consistently have about a half cup of mixed paint in the bottle after the hull is painted. I leave that bottle in my cradle with a foam brush and a Solo red cup for the yard guys to paint the bottom of the keel and the pad spots when they lift the boat out of my cradle.
  • Throw away the foam roller and wash the tray with the solvent of your choice.

The whole process takes me a little more than an hour. I always have an extra quart on hand - just in case. But I've never needed it. It's just what I use next year.

Jim
Woolamaloo
1985 E30+ Hull #685

OK. Good to hear that approx. 1 quart will do. As I said, it looks pretty good now, with no fouling or blemishes. Thank you both for the advice.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, I got a good deal from Boatersland.com on VC-17M. Less than $50/per plus shipping and delivered to Saratoga County, NY the next day from Kellogg in CT which is a major distributor... reliable. All of the usual suspects were $60 or more.

I have no interest and no idea who they deal with in other regions.

Last edited: