• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cal 40 Restoration

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Some of us have no doubt been following Schaefer Marine's Cal 40 restoration project. I'm not sure following it is a good idea, since it is the final proof of the utter craziness of deciding to save a beloved yacht model gone to seed. The Cal 40 they started with had no retail value at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxHGM1B9aJc&list=PLvD5qlROxJu3r8aIu4JitzFHsqu1pxDAO

Here's the most recent episode, which gives insight into furniture and exterior teak repair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t367SirK94

The series once again makes the point, which so many of us are familiar with, that it is one thing to build a boat. But when you restore a boat, you have to first take it apart before you can build it.

Yes, the series is a public relations/education project by various participants, but I doubt anybody is making money here.

It would be entertaining to add up the cost of what the series shows: major decisions such as turning the CAl 40 upsidedown to make it easier to work on, or taking the hull off and replacing it; and minor ones such as taking every interior drawer apart, regluing and revarnishing. OH yes, and all the stainless fittings were determined in need of complete replacement.

None of us can do all that, and it is not cost effective in any conceivable way. So these guys--forget the claims that the series is "good for business"--are basically as far gone as any of us.

They just like the Cal 40, which is in fact one of the great production designs of all time.

They couldn't watch one die.

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I applaud the effort to save an old classic, but I 'm not sure about some of their woodworking methods. Those drawers were originally built quick and dirty, with butt joints and nails. Why not use a decent joint that does not need glue to hold together if you are pulling it all apart anyway? They have a 5 axis CNC machine for God's sake, A well constructed drawer does not need gussets in the corners. I also do not understand pre-varnishing a trim piece that wil be installed with counterbored screws, knowing that the holes will be plugged, and sanded flush thereby ruining the finish. I'm glad they went with the teak toenail as that will look great on the boat, but don' t really get the big deal made about the scarf.

It's great they are documenting this build as it might inspire others to save an old classic.

Martin

Last edited:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
good point Martin...

I applaud the effort to save an old classic, but I 'm not sure about some of their woodworking methods. Those drawers were originally built quick and dirty, with butt joints and nails. Why not use a decent joint that does not need glue to hold together if you are pulling it all apart anyway? They have a 5 axis CNC machine for God's sake, A well constructed drawer does not need gussets in the corners. I also do not understand pre-vanishing a trim piece that wil be installed with counterbored screws, knowing that the holes will be plugged, and sanded flush thereby ruining the finish. I'm glad they went with the teak toenail as that will look great on the boat, but don' t really get the big deal made about the scarf.

It's great they are documenting this build as it might inspire others to save an old classic.

Martin

olsenjohn

John Olsen
Blogs Author
Some of us have no doubt been following Schaefer Marine's Cal 40 restoration project. I'm not sure following it is a good idea, since it is the final proof of the utter craziness of deciding to save a beloved yacht model gone to seed. The Cal 40 they started with had no retail value at all.

The series once again makes the point, which so many of us are familiar with, that it is one thing to build a boat. But when you restore a boat, you have to first take it apart before you can build it.

\

I can attest to both statements being true! Both taking it apart and being utterly crazy....... But I am having a great time being so, and sitting on the boat admiring my work and drinking a beer (or more)!
I imagine they are enjoying it as well. I just wish I had their funding. :egrin: