• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Emergency tiller for 1977 27

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Mine disappeared, along with my prop and the furling line. Nice folks roaming my boatyard I guess. Any ideas of where I might find one or have one built? Anyone have the dimensions of the fitting that goes over the top of the post?

Thanks.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
the prop??!!

Geeze Bryan, that blows. I have a 27 replete with an emergency tiller down here in Norfolk. I have heard of props getting stolen. In one case the crook kindly replaced the nut.

The tiller:

1. You could come down and measure/ photograph, or I could do that, or whatever floats your boat, or meet in Richmond with the tiller. Next time I visit the boat, later this week I can get the measurement you request at the very least.

2. Would you be so kind to pass some ideas about prevention of something like this? Describe, a little, like: boat on the hard, in the water, locked, etc?

sailorman

Member II
Tiller

Mine disappeared, along with my prop and the furling line. Nice folks roaming my boatyard I guess. Any ideas of where I might find one or have one built? Anyone have the dimensions of the fitting that goes over the top of the post?

Thanks.
I have a 35-2 tiller in need of a new home. (never used)

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Wow, thanks so much

Geeze Bryan, that blows. I have a 27 replete with an emergency tiller down here in Norfolk. I have heard of props getting stolen. In one case the crook kindly replaced the nut.

The tiller:

1. You could come down and measure/ photograph, or I could do that, or whatever floats your boat, or meet in Richmond with the tiller. Next time I visit the boat, later this week I can get the measurement you request at the very least.

2. Would you be so kind to pass some ideas about prevention of something like this? Describe, a little, like: boat on the hard, in the water, locked, etc?

That is really a generous response. I have to be honest, the fact that someone stole stuff off my boat disappointed me more than made me angry. Boaters are like skiers, it is a brotherhood, we help each other out, which is exactly what you are doing. So that some one would do that just really was shocking. I guess it could have been a non-boater exploiting the lack of security in my boat yard. My tip, remove your prop if you are going to be on the hard for a while, take the nuts and key. Lock exterior lazarette lids. I always used to do that, not this time.... As for the $25 worth of 1/4 inch line, what can you do?

If you could take photos and some dimensions that would be a great start. My guess is I am going to have to have one fabricated.

Really appreciate it. Anything I can do for you, just let me know!

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Thanks

I have a 35-2 tiller in need of a new home. (never used)

Wonder if it would fit? Could you send a photo of the post head where it attaches, and of the tiller itself? 27s with wheel steering are weird with the "t" cockpit setup. (Which I hate) No huge rush, way behind getting ready to splash this year.

Thanks again.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Emergency Tiller

I have the vertical, offset post from an 81' E-28. I'll take some measurements and a photo. Might work. Possibly deliver in June.

sailorman

Member II
Tiller

Wonder if it would fit? Could you send a photo of the post head where it attaches, and of the tiller itself? 27s with wheel steering are weird with the "t" cockpit setup. (Which I hate) No huge rush, way behind getting ready to splash this year.

Thanks again.

Better yet, can you send me a photo of your emergency tiller connection.
Thanks

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Bryan, the tiller is 39" long and the metal part is 9". Anything else I can do for you?

Attachments

• tiller.jpg
    tiller.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 64
  • tiller..jpg
    tiller..jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 56

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Emergency tiller set up

Bryan, does your set up have a removable plate just aft of the steering pedestal on the cockpit floor which gives you access to the top of the rudder post? Can you post some pictures so we can figure out what you need?

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
Ohhhhhh

Bryan, does your set up have a removable plate just aft of the steering pedestal on the cockpit floor which gives you access to the top of the rudder post? Can you post some pictures so we can figure out what you need?

So still more proof that you do not have to be real smart to be Bryan Howell. I do have a round plate in the aft cockpit, which frankly I had no clue why it was there. But it seems awfully far to the port side of the cockpit sole to be a tiller location? I had assumed that the emergency tiller sat on top of the hub under the pedestal. So I will investigate further on Wed when I go back down to the boat.

This is why forums like this are great.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell
This is the setup I have.

Bryan, the tiller is 39" long and the metal part is 9". Anything else I can do for you?

This is the same setup I have, so this is very helpful. I should be able to get a machine shop to fabricate the bracket and luckily I am pretty good with wood. Now it occurs ot me that the plate in my cockpit sole is my fuel filler cover. Duh.

Thanks, this is really a big help.

bhowell123

Bryan Howell

So actually my setup is as I thought it was, now that Bill was nice enough to send great photos of his 27 setup. Just need to have the bracket fabricated somewhere. The plate in my cockpit sole is my fuel cap.