• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E26 owner here:)

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1988 Ericson 26 with a steering wheel/helm. The name on the boat is Spiced Rum and it came out of SLC. The boat looks to have been sitting for a while and has had a few owners. I picked it up from a broker and got the boat and trailer for next to nothing. Anyways, I'm not great at forums and I'm trying to find out any information about the 1988 E26 boats. She looks to have good bones and we are getting ready to do all the standing rigging and a new Harken Roller fueling. My main concerns are leakes and where to look for them??? I've refit some power boats in the past this will be my first sailboat refit. I grew up sailing Sunfish, Lasers, Hobies etc. any info anyone here can direct me to would be great. Or if there is anyone who knows the boat please share any info... If there is a major issue I would love to know... I think it's just dirty and needs hoses and gaskets on the motor. The standing rigging was getting bad and there was halyard wrap so I decided to scrap it all and rebuild the mast with new light and wires. Thanks in advance for any info.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Mountain Sailor!

Welcome to the site. I used to own a 1984 E26 #205 back in 1986. It was too new to be leaking but one place to check with all older boats is all the deck hardware. Another typical leak point for most older Ericson's are the cabin side ports. You can see evidence of longer term leaking in damaged wood just below the guilty ports. There is an active group of E26 owners on the site that will chime in with more specific and useful ideas. The good news is that almost every possible problem and fix has been addressed by someone here on the site in the past, so a search will usually unearth useful information.

One forum related suggestion, adding your boat year and model to your site signature will allow anyone who reads your posts to automatically know what model you are asking about.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome !

Your boat is part of a "design series" from NA Bruce King, constructed by Ericson Yachts. You will note (and like) the similarity to the fast 80's performance-cruisers like the E- 28, 30, 32, 34 and 35, and the 38. Yours manages to have lots of useful cruising interior while allowing a good sailing and sea-keeping exterior shape.
One of the owners here has a Blog detailing many upgrades and repairs on his 26.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/blog.php?6407-Shelman

You will find that your boat's systems have much in common with the larger Ericson's of the 80's, due to electrical, plumbing, and deck hardware all coming from the same construction supply chain.

Opinion: Rather than being a scaled-up cheap craft from a maker of smaller cheaper boats, yours is scaled down from a line of ocean-capable larger vessels. Admittedly being in big seas will always be more comfortable in a larger boat.... your hull shape and basic construction (like your glassed-reinforced hull-to-deck joint is the "right stuff" for sailing on windy and rough days.

Welcome to our little corner of the 'net!

:egrin:

You can add photos to your photo Album here for all to enjoy and I hope that you do this.

Finally, get used to attention... it is common to pull into marinas and have strangers walk up and compliment your boat. Yup - really.
:)

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Forum tricks:

Make your bookmark this: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/forum.php

Start a new thread ("Post New Thread" button) for each question you have.

You will get an email alert when anybody responds (you are automatically "subscribed" to any thread you start or contribute too.)

When you open the forum bookmark, go first to "New Posts".

The forum contains vast amounts of information via "Search" But don't use the forum search engine.

Instead, use Google, and type in something like Ericson 26 gooseneck or Ericson rigging replacement forestay tang followd by "Ericson Yacht Forum" or Ey.o. (it's just a fact that no forum search engine can compete with Google).

Photos: cell phone pix are invaluable tools for showing a problem or solution. I will copy the whole procedure here, although it is not as complicated as it looks:

[h=2]Adding Photos to a Forum Message[/h]
1. Initiate "Post New Thread" or "Reply to Thread"

2. Scroll down beneath the message block to "Manage Attachments"
(This opens the File Upload Manager. Notice that any photos you have uploaded previously remain stored here)

3. Select "Add Files" to choose a new photo from your computer.

4. Select "Select File".
(This accesses all the photo files on your personal computer)

5. Double click on the chosen photo. Its name will appear in the "File Upload Manager" pane.

6. Select "Upload File."
The uploaded photo will appear as "Insert Online". Repeat for as many as five photos per message, then select "Done".

7. Select "Preview" to check the result (box is at the lower right-hand corner).

Photos can be repositioned like text in the Editing Pane, by dragging (but not in the Preview Pane).

To remove photos from a post, or substitute them, return to the File Upload Manager. Check the photo displayed and delete it.

The value of the forum photo system is that the site hosts its own pictures--permanently. There are no "dead" photo links after a few years, a shortcoming of colleague sites.

Troubleshooting:

Many uploading issues--sideways pix, pix too large--result from the use of photo-collection organizers like Picasa, which are designed to leave the original photo unchanged. Therefore, "Save" or "Save As" after editing any photo, or the uncorrected original may upload.

Before uploading, locate the chosen photo on your computer. Crop, enhance, and confirm that it is less than 800 pixels and oriented correctly.

A simple way to confirm that the correct photo version uploads is to save it to the desktop and upload from there.

Regarding size: the measurement is in pixels, not KB. For example, 717 x 553. The larger number must be 800 or less. Re-sizing should be easy but can be confounding. In Picasa 3, "resize" is hidden within the Exporting function. In Windows Live Photo Gallery it's Edit/Resize. In iPhoto it's File/Export/Resize.​
<fieldset class="postcontent" style="margin: 5px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; word-wrap: break-word;"><legend style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;">
paperclip.png
Attached Thumbnails</legend> </fieldset>

Im a bit puzzled as I can't find my bilge pump or any switches to run one? Maybe it never has had one installed? Did Ericson not put them in? Weird...

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Im a bit puzzled as I can't find my bilge pump or any switches to run one? Maybe it never has had one installed? Did Ericson not put them in? Weird...

The E26 came from the factory with only a manual bilge pump operated from the cockpit via a handle on the starboard side.
I have since added an electric bilge bump to supplement the manual one.
I also got my E-26 on the great salt lake. I have done extensive refit over the past 5 years, please feel free to ask a million questions. As for leaks, the usual deck fitting leaks, and all the port lights will leak where the aluminum frames come together at one time or another. Also my electrical wires from the bow bicolor traveled down the inside of the bow pulpit and were impossible to seal. I had to fill in the hole in the deck with epoxy and rought the wires through another way.
I also have several blog posts on some upgrades I have done.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

No bilge bilge pump in the bilge???

Dear friend, First of all welcome aboard. Are saying that there is NO bilge pump in your boat whatsoever? There should be a manual pump operated from the cockpit by use of a removable pump handle, is that the case? I am going to assume that your bilges are as shallow as our 1979 E25+ bilges were and on that assumption, I never felt a need for one much less even expect one to work in there given that when I'd inspect there on occasion, the depth of the water was typically less than an inch. My workaround was to use a large sponge and a small plastic bucket to sop it up every once in a while when it got to be close to an inch. The current owner of our boat saw fit to install one with some sort of timer built into it the would cycle on every 10 minutes(?) or so, sense that there was no water to draw and cycle off. I can remember spending some time below with him and that constant cycling almost driving me nuts, but he loved it. I'd recommend the sponge and bucket method, a far cheaper solution and not irritating cycling on and off. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del Rey CA

The E26 came from the factory with only a manual bilge pump operated from the cockpit via a handle on the starboard side.
I have since added an electric bilge bump to supplement the manual one.
I also got my E-26 on the great salt lake. I have done extensive refit over the past 5 years, please feel free to ask a million questions. As for leaks, the usual deck fitting leaks, and all the port lights will leak where the aluminum frames come together at one time or another. Also my electrical wires from the bow bicolor traveled down the inside of the bow pulpit and were impossible to seal. I had to fill in the hole in the deck with epoxy and rought the wires through another way.
I also have several blog posts on some upgrades I have done.

I have read your post and found them very helpful. Really like the boom stick locker:) I can not find a handle in my cockpit either I'll look again. But I didn't see one anywhere. My Windows don't seem to show signs of leakes other than in the head. I don't think it was in the SLC BC it doesn't show a lot of signs of salt use. I would love to talk to someone who owned it. Last reg was 6 or more years ago. I really appreciate your help and comments. I'll be on here a bunch. Pics to come soon.

Dear friend, First of all welcome aboard. Are saying that there is NO bilge pump in your boat whatsoever? There should be a manual pump operated from the cockpit by use of a removable pump handle, is that the case? I am going to assume that your bilges are as shallow as our 1979 E25+ bilges were and on that assumption, I never felt a need for one much less even expect one to work in there given that when I'd inspect there on occasion, the depth of the water was typically less than an inch. My workaround was to use a large sponge and a small plastic bucket to sop it up every once in a while when it got to be close to an inch. The current owner of our boat saw fit to install one with some sort of timer built into it the would cycle on every 10 minutes(?) or so, sense that there was no water to draw and cycle off. I can remember spending some time below with him and that constant cycling almost driving me nuts, but he loved it. I'd recommend the sponge and bucket method, a far cheaper solution and not irritating cycling on and off. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55 Marina del Rey CA

ok ill look for a place for a handle. The bilge is shallow for sure... I plan to use a sponge and a siphon to remove a little water in the keel bolt holes. I don't think this boat saw a ton of use. It's old and dirty but it seem to be in relatively good shape. Where would the removable handle be? Also I have a wheel not a tiller... I can't come much info on the 1988s but I do like it...

Glyn Judson

On the subject of the E26/E25+

All, My friends single cockpit scupper back washes something awful. So far we have only powered her boat and that's when the scupper well fills. Of course, when throttling down it washes back out but I don't remember that happening on our E25+. Now, that was 21 years ago when we last sailed her so my memory might have faded. Is this common to other E26/E25+ owners? Has anyone had to occasion to crawl back there to see just how it is all put together? A 90° elbow hose possibly? I did notice when delivering her 1982 E25+ down the SoCal cost from Oxnard to Marina del Rey, that additionally, a slight rivulet of water was emanating from the darkness aft and forward to the area just inside the engine cover. Please chime in anyone, if you can help me with these two issues. Thanks Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

My issues is it will be in a slip all summer and I want to make sure it pumps out after a big rain if it is to take on water. Also I have no clue what the thruhulls are like.. I'll probably splash it no mast and let it sit in lake on the trailer for a while. I'm sure curious about this bilge... I'll be back in her tomorrow morning looking for it. I was very surprised not to find something... Also I have listed my hull
number on the site. How do know what number boat it was out of how many? Thanks in advance for all the help. I'm a quick study and know my way around a boat pretty well. This is however my first decent sized sailboat. I have had cabin cruisers in the pasts

Glyn Judson

Manual bilge handle.

Dear friend, Look for a 1" stainless steel handle somewhere in the boat that's about a foot long fitted with a large black plastic knob on the end. It fits the Whale Gusher Mark 10 manual pump in your cockpit and looks like the one attached here. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Attachments

• Whale Gusher 10 pump.JPG
    Whale Gusher 10 pump.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 618
Dear friend, Look for a 1" stainless steel handle somewhere in the boat that's about a foot long fitted with a large black plastic knob on the end. It fits the Whale Gusher Mark 10 manual pump in your cockpit and looks like the one attached here. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Thanks! I couldn't find one or a place to hook it up. Ill look again now that I know what I'm looking for...

Bilge Pump?

Ok thanks all for the info! I will go to my boat in the morning and if I can't find the pump handle or a place it fits I'll let you know. Also I'll take some pictures of the Cockpit and post if I can't find it.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
"Really like the boom stick locker:) "

Thanks!:egrin: I was really proud of it.

"I can not find a handle in my cockpit either I'll look again. But I didn't see one anywhere."

A piece of old broom stick will do the job until you find a proper one.

Bilge Pump?

Ok thanks all for the info! I will go to my boat in the morning and if I can't find the pump handle or a place it fits I'll let you know. Also I'll take some pictures of the Cockpit and post if I can't find it.

Glyn Judson

Factory pump.

Dear friend, Others might be more up on this than I but I'd guess that Ericson only installed the manual pump. It seems to me that the USCG wouldn't certify them to sell without at least one pump. I have an automatic pump on our boat, one that I installed myself. Glyn

907Juice

Continuously learning
Mountain, I have an 82 25+ and I have a whale gusher manual pump as well as an automatic bilge pump. The whale gusher handle is about 12 inches stainless steel handle with a black ball at the end. The pump is mounted on the port side in front of the throttle handle. It goes in horizontal and pumps up and down. Nothing like the picture. Let me know if you need anything else. I prob won't be back to the boat for another week or so.

After more research and a PM from a member here I'm finding out I might have one of the last models E-26 Mk4 possible a race version...I have a bold on lead fin keel with a 4'11" draft. I have a helm and wheel no tiller so my shift and throttle controls are up there. I'm thinking I need to look on the helm for my bilge handle now. I'll let you all know what I find.

Last edited:

markvone

Sustaining Member
Mountain Sailor,

Here is how your Hull Identification Number (HIN) breaks down:

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

ERY (Ericson) 26 (Model) 346 (hull # in series) 1788 (date of mfg). FWIW, Something is wrong with the HIN you listed in your profile. The fourth and third to last digits '17' need to be 12 or less to correspond to the 12 months of the year. I would check the actual HIN stamped in the upper stbd side of the transom to double check.

Your E26 is in the last series Ericson built starting in 1987. These have hull numbers starting with 300. (My E26 was a 200 series built starting in 1984).
The 300 series have a bolt-on keel and much deeper bilges than the 200 series boats. I suspect Ericson changed to bolt-on keels because they were either cheaper and/or allowed for a wing keel option for the shoal draft version, very popular due to the Americas Cup at the time.

The 200 series boats had internal ballast (lead inside the fiberglass molded keel fin) and came in 4' 11" std and 3' 11" shoal fin keels only. The design had very shallow bilges maybe 4-5 inches deep below the floor and no keel bolts. The 200 series boats are identical in hull and ballast to the previous E25+. My hull #205 came with only the manual bilge pump with just the strainer/pickup in the bilge. There was very little space to fit an electric pump in the actual bilge.

Mark