• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E26 owner here:)

Catalina 25 sail anyone? Lol

Thanks to a member of our group I have some new to me rags on the way. Anyone by chance know if anyone who needs a set of Catalina 25 sails let me know. I have a main and a Genoa both in good shape. The main looks very nice and crispy.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I kept my "old rags" as a potential source of material for future projects. (e.g. riding sail, storm sail, sun shades...) But mine didn't appear to have any significant value in their own right.
Must be a Catalina owners forum or two around somewhere...

She floats!!!!!

Well guys we did it!! She floating at her slip now. I was missing 1 part of of the boom gooseneck I'll have rigright overnight me. Mast went up well and the new standing and running rigging looks great! My motor fired up and hit her in to her slip from the ramp. I was not able to get done with work in time to take her for a motor power shake down run. We will do that in the morning. We have tons of pics saved up on our phones but the load sideways. We will download them and post the pics of the project. She looks great! All my horizon instruments are shot. I'll be buying a new depth finder ASAP and I need some compas oil. But she is for the season. I only get a few months so we put her in and will sort out the little stuff come fall when we drop the mast. I put a new LED anchor strob on the mast. I'll do the steaming and fore deck light come fall. As you all know I am now broke:) lol that's for all the help and advise! I think I'll order a whisker pole eye for my mast in the am too;) Midaswell do it right!!! I love sailboats!! Cheers!!

M12 oil?????

Westerbeke says 10-40 or sae 30 what do you guys run. Also they say 1.5-2 quarts Fill to full line in dip stick... Can someone point me the right direction. And also who's been in to the trans? Mine looks like a butcher has been at the top bolt...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Image oddness

I went with vynal. Every time I try to post pics they come out sideways or won't show up. I need to get my wife to help me....

The site software seems to be written by and for a desktop computer OS. My guess is that the OS used on tablets and smart phones (and their flavors of imaging software) handle saved images differently. I do not know enough geekery to be sure, however.

One work-around you might try if your images are consistently wrong in the same way would be to re-save them 90 degrees from what you want and when you u/l them here they will be right side up!
:)

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Try one, if it's sideways we'll fix it and report how. That may give you the key.

The procedure is in Post#4 above.

Last edited:
M12 oil??

M12 oil. Sae 30? The cap says 10-30 and the manual says 10-40 or sae 30? Also says full 1.5-2 quarts ams to use the dip stick to check level. What do you guys run?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
multi-weight, yes

M12 oil. Sae 30? The cap says 10-30 and the manual says 10-40 or sae 30? Also says full 1.5-2 quarts ams to use the dip stick to check level. What do you guys run?

We have used Chevron Delo LE 15-40 in our Universal diesel for many years. Seems to work fine and our mechanic recommends it.
Our three cylinder model uses one gallon, which is rather handy.

Loren

We sprung a leak on shakedown!!

The one hose I did not replace, the raw water to the impeller hose had a minor leak at the end of the shakedown run. Used the 15-40 oil 1.5 qt was perfect on the dipstick. The hose has been removed and the sea cock is shut for the night. I'll be there at 8am with a new hose. Rain and clouds for the 4th weekend But I've got her together now! Amy said she will post all our pictures when she has "time" lol I have to put the new upholstery in tomorrow. :nerd:​

So I changed the main sheet rig?!?

So.... I changed up my main sheet rig to better single hand the boat. I put a fiddle block with a cam cleat on the traveler car. I can't seem to figure out how to get a 4.1 or a better mechanical advantage. It woks ok but I want an easier pull on my main sheet. Also who is running a boom vang? I hate to ask for pictures as i am not able to post much yet. Wife keeps saying she will post but... Anyways I've had my main up and I've had the Genoa out. She sails great. I love her. But I need to get this main sheet figured out. As always any help is appreciated. I'm thinking I may use a different camera to post pics. Thanks! Oh yeah and Captain Dons sails were an awesome hook up!! You guys are all great!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
We may need some pictures of your set-up. This can get complicated. Is your boom sheeted at the end or the middle? Where is the traveller?

I set up my end-boom sheeted boat with a new 6:1 main sheet, which lets me sail the boat like a big dinghy in 30 knot winds, if I want to. The trade-off being that it requires 100 feet of line coiled up in the cockpit, or more likely, scrambled under-foot.

But if you do move to something like that, the old main sheet makes a nifty boom vang/preventer. Do you already have bails for the boom vang installed on the mast and boom?

Sorry for scrambled eggs. Having keyboard and connectivity problems.

Last edited:
So I have the original bails on the Isomat boom. I have 3 in the middle one in front. The traveler car sits on the rail right in front of the companion way. The original setup would have had me using the winch to the left of the companion way and the main sheet getting tied off on the boom and led forward deon the mast and back. I didn't like it. So I took the two blocks I had in back and got a fiddle block with a cam cleat. It word but I want more. I don't care about a long sheet that's fine. I can use the new block I bought to make a gang out of as I do not have one. We have a very high wind lake and it can her era tic as we are at 9'1111 above sea level. We are soaking thermals most days. I'll see if I can get some pics up some how. Ugh. I suck at computers. I think I need a 1 more block and a different fiddle block that has more sheves. And I can add or remove bails that's no biggie for me and the guys at my marina. The guys are so helpful but I what to know what you guys use. I want to do it right. I've gone this far. Man I can't wait to get some pics up. I'll beg the wife.

Last edited:
I also would like to hear about your boom vangs.. I want to make it right.

Mast track gate screw?? Replacement? Mine is stripped and won't hold my gate shut and so it's impossible to get the main up alone. Rigrite offers a tool and a replacement kit but man they are expensive. Also they want $100 for a whisker pole eye I have a pole but my mast has no eye. Is Rigrite the only place for Isomat replace parts? I spent the $$ on a Harken Thrudeck for the mast and got the pole lift and spliced shackle and cam cleat.. But $100 bucks for this eye? Ugh. I've gone this far with the boat and I love the boat. I really want to get my vang and main sheet set up in a good way. I have bad hands and I want it to be an easy pull. Also that wheel is a pain to move around so I want to be able to run the boat solo from the helm. Amy says she will try to get you guys pictures tomorrow. She is turning out very nice. After the wood is done and I get my winches rebuilt I'll be good to go. has anyone done the rebuild on the Lewmar 30 self tailing? I still need better instruments/radio/vhf/ next year and I'll convert the rest of my lights to LED. Also I'll be having sails made this winter. I look forward to some great responses. You fellas will be proud when we get the pics up I promise.

Erik

Couldn't wait. Ordered a Hatken 6:1 set up. And the rest of the gear to make a nice cascade 6:1 vang with spectra and a nice Harken Fiddle block I already have. She's going to be a single handing beat! Woo hoo! :egrin:

Has anyone done a 6:1?

I feel good about it but I wonder if the boom block will put to much pressure in one spot on the boom? I may move some bails tomorrow and use 3 single blocks and spread them out a foot each and move them back a bit. Hmmm... Any thoughts?

Pics are up in an album. I have a lot more she will post tomorro

So we got some pics up. The darn things are 90* off but she said she will try to fic that tomorrow. I have a few more pics of the work we did inside the hull and after the bottom paint out of the water.

The 6:1 harken block set up is great. My vang seems to work just fine. Hoping to get the Genoa all the way out tomorrow I ran her at about 100% today. I think I need to order more parts from Rigrite to get a better more powerful vang. And I need to get a new ring for my whisker pole.

Who ho has ordered sails? I got a decent quote from Doyl but they are China made...

We know the pictures are all sideways. We sound out after loading them up. We also found out we have a leaking hot water heater and need to repair it ASAP. Ugh. Off to lowes. We will fix and repost ASAP.sorry.