E-29 Fuel Tank replacement/Repair/Inspection Ports

markvone

Sustaining Member
Further Follow up on Fuel Tank O-rings

I suspect my original O-rings did not weep fuel when I first installed them because I had less than half a tank of fuel. After adding more fuel, to ~ 3/4 tank, sometime in summer 2017, I started to notice a slight fuel weep from my cover screws but not weeping out the edge of the cover. I just replaced the original 70 durometer Buna-N o-rings with harder 90D Buna-N O-rings so I could torque down the screws a little more. The original 70D O-rings also were soft enough to squeeze out from under the screws more than I liked.

I also noticed that I had fuel on top of my cover gasket (under the cover). This fuel had to travel up the threads to get to this area since my cover gasket is a solid piece with no center hole cutout and I didn't have edge leakage. Since I had all the screws out to change the O-rings, I also added thread sealer to each screw as well. I'll report back on the results of this change once I get out sailing this spring. If I were to do it again I would start with just thread sealer on the screws and see how that works.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 15

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I cut my inspection ports I sealed them with tapped 10-32 machine screws and lots of Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Liquid Sealer.

No issues. However, the fuel sender was fastened in its hole with sheet metal screws, and they recently began leaking after 30+ years.

I think you're right, the sealer might do the trick. It forms a gummy, diesel-proof gasket around each thread.

In my case the screw holes were buggered, so I tapped them to the larger size of machine screws.