• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Elco 9.9 Electric Outboard: Yes, I am buying it.

Becca

Hi all...coming from a 1963 wooden Star moored in swim-able waters and now owning a E27 at with all that fiberglass opportunity plus living aboard at a marina on the Puget Sound....
Took out the Atomic 4, rusted, half disassembled and missing the carburetor...gas tank was foamed in (yikes) and compressed....house batteries dead and PO used house wiring (not marine but actually house) so all that went over the side into the boatyard trash. An inboard is just too far toward cruising and more civilized than I, at present.
My goals beyond great view/cheap rent is to sail around during the day, potentially up to the next marina with shore power hook up. I am accustomed to grabbing a liter of water, some cheese, apples, and salami for lunch and tacking around until almost dark. All the interior goodies (cushions, a head, table) are super luxury to have on a boat, so I don't want to spoil my hobbit hole with smelly gas. Or diesel.
This brought me to the Elco 9.9 hp, weighing in at 75 lbs plus maybe 75 lb more in a 4 battery pack. Using the PO outboard mount on the port side and planning to use the remote control throttle. It will be my secondary source of propulsion (wind #1) .
For more info on my bleeding edge choice.... http://www.elcomotoryachts.com/ep-99-outboard.shtml
Will keep you posted, still on the hard!
Best,
Becca:0

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You didn't ask a question, so maybe you've made your decision.

But $3K for an electric outboard, plus batteries, plus smart charger, means maintenance and complication equal to any gas outboard.

Electric outboards are unproven. I have a Torquedo and three Prius cars. The tradeoffs are many, and the decisions complicated.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
If you really don't like the smell of gasoline, electric is not your only alternative. Have you thought of propane?
http://golehr.com/

I have the 2.5 hp motor and it runs well. I just need a bigger a little bigger dingy.

Akavishon

Member III
I second the Lehr suggestion.

It's a little heavier/bulkier compared to gasoline outboards, otherwise nothing but good experiences (so far, after 3 seasons).

Vagabond39

Member III
Batteries

Becca:
I do not know how much capacity you will need, or the amount of time you will need to use that motor. However err on the side of caution, buy more battery capacity that you think that you will need. Four type 4 batters will allow about 3 hours of motor use @ 100 Amps draw. and will weigh over 500 pounds, not including cables, mounting, or charger. And the 48 volt motor will need four. And cost another $1200.00 plus
You will also want to price a 48 Volt marine charger, or adding a switch to split the batteries for a dual 24 volt charger. And the cables for connecting them.
Do the pricing befor parting with the money. And Good luck.
Bob

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUH9xowkrQ

Neat Elco yacht auxiliary motor. The pitch is quiet, no vibration, no heat to speak of.

Interesting, for certain applications. The actual operating sound is never clear in these demo videos.

My little Torquedo is quieter than a cheap gas outboard, but hardly silent. "Motoring" is still "motoring."

But's it's true, diesels are noisy.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The information about the electric option is interesting and might indeed be OK as aux. power.
One part of the installation not mentioned much so far is where to mount the OB engine. The E-27 transom was cut down for clamping on an OB motor on those models, while the inboard E-27 model had a full height transom. Also, when it was cut out for the OB install it would have been reinforced between the outer transom and inner cockpit molding.

I recall seeing a project where an owner did the cut-out conversion and used plywood and epoxy to strengthen that area for a change-over to OB power.
Is the boat in question configured for an OB motor at present?

Owners changing over to OB power later sometimes opt to use a bracket for an OB, but that bracket has to have really strong backing on the inside to withstand the torque and thrust.

Another concern: you would need an "extra long shaft" OB with the 25' leg. I used to sail a similar size boat and on boats that size only the longest leg OB will motor in chop without cavitating.

I trust these issues have been addressed already.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited: