• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Routing water from mast to bilge?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One caution about totally wrapping that spreader end: moisture and salt will find a way inside over time. The resulting corrosion will be a problem because there are dissimilar metals bound together there, getting intimate, in the dark...........
:0

Loren

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
moisture and salt will find a way inside over time

100% correct.

I have two approaches that may (?) help with this.

One, I remediated the existing corrosion at the spreader tips, put on two coats of paint, and then when putting the rig together I coated the tip-pockets (and the monel seizing wire) with TefGel. That "should" help keep the dissimilar metals from getting too intimate.

Two, spreader-tip inspection has a high place on my annual/spring to-do list. Right up there with inspecting halyards, standing rigging, partners/mast-boot, etc. So by this time next year, those boots will have been pulled off and reinstalled. I don't like to "not know" what's going on with the things that keep the mast upright...

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Anecdotally, I'm told that water that finds its way into the mast tends to dribble out the bottom and onto the sole, "eventually" finding its way to the bilge.

Has anyone found a way to route that water directly into the bilge?

Spent all day Friday and Saturday on the boat, working on inside-stuff while it rained outside. Saw a fair amount of water pooling around the mast step and working its way under the floorboard to the bilge. And after thinking through a bunch of options, I think the most sensible one is to just pull the floorboard up and out of the way when I leave the boat during rainy-season (**)

Takes less than a minute to do. Water has unimpeded path to the bilge. Floorboard doesn't get wet, top or bottom. Good enough for today..

(**) there are basically two seasons up here: "rainy season" and "August".

Akavishon

Member III
My very low-tech $0.02 solution ... cheap window/door insulation tape collects the seeping water into the sump.
This has worked well and kept my sole dry for years now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160505_140150.jpg
    20160505_140150.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 147