• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"official" Ericson logo vinyl decals

Becca

Hi all, first post...hope it is in the correct section.
Have two faded (white) Ericson decals on my New-2-me Ericson 27 and want to replace. Learned all about vinyl removal taking off the old name!

Is it possible to order 1973 version of Ericson logo sticker or get the appropriate graphic file from someone to submit to a firm like Prism here in Seattle?

Thanks!
Becca

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The file is on this site, and any "sign shop" probably can make them, scaled to whatever size you need.
I did a quick site search and it looks like some internal links were broken in our site hack in '13, but I did find one copy for you.
Loren

Attachments

• ericson-helmet-logo.jpg
    ericson-helmet-logo.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,407
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Learned all about vinyl removal taking off the old name!

Me too, recently. Heat gun and patience. For remaining ancient adhesive residue, adhesive remover, wait for it to work, scrape with plastic scraper. Repeat as necessary. End with acetone wipe.

Becca

Thanks for logo and eBay tips!

Appreciate the quick responses and the graphic file!
Used a plastic rice paddle to take off letters, first fiberglass boats so extra paranoid about gel coat. Now have to sand down original gel coat letter ghosts to match the more worn gel coat...

woolamaloo

Member III
I found that getting registration numbers custom made looks way better than trying to line up the block numbers they sell at boat stores. I bought mine here: doityourselflettering.com. They turned out great. Then, I sent them Loren's file (posted above) and asked for a quote of four 3" tall Ericson Logos made in the same white vinyl as my registration numbers. They charged me $20.72 for the four logos. Very nice.

Jim
Woolamaloo
1985 E30+ Hull #685

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Appreciate the quick responses and the graphic file!
Used a plastic rice paddle to take off letters, first fiberglass boats so extra paranoid about gel coat. Now have to sand down original gel coat letter ghosts to match the more worn gel coat...

Could be worse...
:)
When we bought our boat in '94, the name was painted on each side in large letters with acrylic paint. I got it off with patience, many rags, and acetone. The "shadow" from those letters still took about 5 years to go away.
The old hailing port on the transom came off likewise, but took over a decade for the surface of the gel coat to fade enough where those letters used to be.

Loren

Mark Roberts

E34-200 Kingston, Ontario
To remove the old decals, I used a stripe off or eraser wheel chucked in my drill. They came off real nice and easy, very clean removal!:egrin:

Slick470

Member III
If the light is just right, I can still barely see the two previous names of our boat on the transom. I wet sand that area a little each year, and one day they will be gone. Oh well.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My previous owner had a large shield on the transom and large name letters, which after 14 years left more than a shadow. As you know, it is the unprotected gelcoat that erodes, leaving the area under the vinyl proud.

In a case like that, a good sanding leaves the gelcoat very thin, with some substrate exposure.

So for a transom, painting with two-part paint is an easy solution. Or even Interlux Brightside, a one-part I could have done myself.

Ian S

Member III
Good morning All. I have a roll of Ericson insignia stickers in royal blue for sale. Decal approx. 4" x 4-1/2"
Contact me with a PM if interested. $5 ea.

Capt. Ian