• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Alone Together" -- New book on Ericson 32-3 To Hawaii and Back

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Together-Sailing-Hawaii-Beyond/dp/099725310X/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Book trailer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY3GFaHwRAA

attachment.php

Attachments

• AT frontback.jpg
    AT frontback.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 915
Last edited:

woolamaloo

Member III
My copy will arrive Wednesday.

Last summer, I read Christian's Lead Follow or Get Out of the Way: The Story of Ted Turner. It is definitely a sailing book. I enjoyed it immensely.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Movie before the book

Christian, Just ordered "Alone Together" and because of Amazon Prime I'll be getting it this Wednesday just in time for a short vacation in St Pete's Beach, FL. I think this is the first time I'll be reading a book after seeing the "movie" (You Tube.) :) But I just couldn't resist it because we too own an E 32-3 on the Chesapeake Bay and I marveled at your trip with the same model to Hawaii. I read "About the Author" on Amazon and was pleasantly surprised to see that you wrote for "Hill Street Blues". I, and probably all of us, have this section in our brains that holds onto completely unimportant information. At least thats what my wife thinks about my brain. In that part of my gray matter your name sounded familiar and I thought it was because of a TV show I use to watch. Long story short, I did find your name as one of the Hill Street Blues writers (one of my favorite shows back then) and I think I even wrote to you about it. Never got a reply but thats OK because it really had nothing to do with sailing or Ericsons. I was just satisfying a curiosity.

Good luck with the book. Looking forward to reading it. And good luck with your "new" E-38. It's the model my wife and I would also like to move up to someday.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
My copy will arrive Wednesday.

Last summer, I read Christian's Lead Follow or Get Out of the Way: The Story of Ted Turner. It is definitely a sailing book. I enjoyed it immensely.

Me too, a really well-written book. The 1981 perspective on Ted Turner at that point of his life - a big shot, but not yet the huge mogul he became, and with a different Jane in his life than the one I was used to associating with him - was really cool. And the '79 Fastnet recounting was riveting. I had completely forgotten that he won that race...and of course Christian was on the boat with him.

I hope Amazon is able to FULFIL the order soon!

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Feature film

I vote that Christian's book should become a feature film, by a sailor for sailors. Something has to replace All is Lost, which is about a solo non-sailor getting bested by the elements due to a long series of stupid mistakes on a sailboat.

Wet Willy

Just finishing a re-read of Herb Payson’s Blown Away, wondering what would be next, when I saw this thread. Ordered Alone Together this morning...looking forward to two great reads in a row!

lonokai

Member III
I'm only about 40 pages in Christian, but thank you so much for a great read......I love the flashbacks between the past, the prep and the sail to Hawai'i. And, just the right mount of tongue in cheek humor too.

This book is, for new sailors like myself, a sort of primer on all the little things one needs to learn, if you are to truly embrace the sport. There are huge nuggets of information here. Maybe they're more like boulders...but I digress. I particularly like when Christian describes how he rewired his boat, partly because the rat's nest needed cleaning, partly to learn about every nook and cranny, every wire, etc.... So, when trouble hits, you know what to do.

Oh, and for those of us with Hawaiian ancestry, thanks for spelling Hawai'i properly.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks to all. The book seems to be having a good launch. Any reader reviews on Amazon appreciated, no matter how candid.

The spelling of Hawai'i is a deep dive into ambiguity and strong opinions. I succeeded in finding a book font with the okina, indicating a glottal stop in the language. Most work processors use an apostrophe, which isn't the same. Few official documents or name lists use the okina, but the University of Hawai'i does, so I went with that. The Hawaiians I interviewed about this on Kaua'i just smiled. Who is this guy? Why would he care?

But when you're born in Brook'lyn, you gotta get these things right.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Loved it!

Christian, On vacation in FL and read the book cover to cover then gave my review on Amazon. Thoroughly enjoyed it because, although I do sail and even own a 32-3, its about more then just sailing. If you ever consider signing copies I'd love to send you mine with shipping paid for the return. One subject that kept coming up in your story was the dreaded leak. I really could relate to that because at the moment I'm dealing with a mysterious bilge leak also. I think I know where it's coming from but can't catch it in the act, so to speak. Hope you sell lots of copies of "Alone Together".

Lucky Dog

Member III
When is the audio version coming?

I have now purchased two, leaving the first on the my desk, and someone decided to read to first.

i spend a lot of time staring at my future through a windshield.

it would be great it your could create an audio version...please?

mark

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks, and I appreciate the reader reviews on Amazon.

The audio book and ebook is scheduled for June 9 release.

Cheers,
Christian

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'll be doing this one. Not all that hard, technically, although editing to take out mouth noises and pops has driven good men mad.

It isn't at all like a radio show, which I always assumed was a piece of cake until I started one for NPR for a local nonprofit, discovered I was terrible, and replaced myself with a professional.

Anybody curious, or considering a new sideline as a "reader," the whole rigmarol is here: http://www.acx.com/help/narrators/200484550

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I'll be doing this one. Not all that hard, technically, although editing to take out mouth noises and pops has driven good men mad.

It isn't at all like a radio show, which I always assumed was a piece of cake until I started one for NPR for a local nonprofit, discovered I was terrible, and replaced myself with a professional.

Anybody curious, or considering a new sideline as a "reader," the whole rigmarol is here: http://www.acx.com/help/narrators/200484550

Well I'm sure you'll do just fine. Your narration was outstanding in your video trailer. At least we have sophisticated digital audio editing software now that makes it much easier than back in the day's of analog.