• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

110 and 75 jib specs e-29

jdeboer

Member I
Hello, new to the list, great information!

I recently bought a 1973 Ericson 29 standard rig, which is in desperate need of new sails. I am considering buying used 110 and 75 jibs or ordering new from a place like the sailwarehouse, where you provide your own measurements. Now I can easily measure the max luff, however the foot and leeach are more difficult as I don't have these sails right now. Would anyone be able to provide me those measurements for a 110 and 75? The jibs will be hanked on.

Thanks, jolanda
San Francisco Bay

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It will be as accurate as YOU make it....

You need to get out your 50 foot tape and measure for the jib hoist. Use a halyard to hoist the end of the tape. Tie another retrieval line on along with the tape so that if the tape comes loose you can get the halyard back down.
Your sailmaker should provide you with a detailed measurement form to fill in. Assume nothing about these measurements based on : 1) your old sails, 2) specs you obtain here, or 3) your neighbor's Ericson.
;)
Note the tack and clew attachments and type of gromet needed.
Meaasure length of track and how far from centerline, and where it starts and ends, relative to the tack.
You did not ask, but the UK site has an excellent form for just this purpose. Your sailmaker should also have one.
Assume nothing, when dealing with a remote sail maker. I have done this with great success, even to the point of sending in pictures of the old sails hoisted, and closeups of deck plan and tack equipment. Nowadays with digital cameras everywhere this should be easier than when I had to borrow a Polaroid...
:rolleyes:

Be sure to check with Seth, a sailmaker that contributes regularly to this site. He may be checking in any minute...
http://www.doylesails.com/lofts-usa-stearns.htm

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

jdeboer

Member I
Loren, thanks for your reply! Did get the long tape out this weekend and starting to have a better idea what I would like.

Jolanda