• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Varnishing cabin sole (again)

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
This spring I removed a factory-installed inspection board (5 " x 6" teak and holly plywood) near the mast which had gotten wet from the rain water coming down the mast. I was worried that there was water trapped in the bilge where I couldn't see it. There wasn't any water but the piece of teak and holly ply was saturated so I brought it home to dry out. Bad move. It delaminated into 4 separate layers. Now that it's all dry, my idea is to lightly sand everything but the top and then laminate the layers back together.

I'll use the ideas shown in Christian's last video. Before I screw things up even more, does anybody have any advice?

For the price of postage I will send you a piece of 3/4" T & H plywood so you can make a new hatch cover. It's the new standard, 2 3/8" teak and 1/4" Holly. Yours is likely not 3/4" thick nor the new standard pattern. It's also likely someone near you might have a scrap the right thickness.

Let me know.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Billie,

If Tom's piece of T&H ply doesn't work or you just want to use your original floor pieces, I would get a piece of new marine plywood, plane it to the correct thickness (if needed) and glue just your top T&H layer to the top of the new plywood.

Mark

billie williams

Member II
For the price of postage I will send you a piece of 3/4" T & H plywood so you can make a new hatch cover. It's the new standard, 2 3/8" teak and 1/4" Holly. Yours is likely not 3/4" thick nor the new standard pattern. It's also likely someone near you might have a scrap the right thickness.

Let me know.

Tom, that is super kind of you but this is 1/4” plywood. Could I have it planed down, do you think? Some cabinet shop around here???

Last edited:

billie williams

Member II
Billie,

If Tom's piece of T&H ply doesn't work or you just want to use your original floor pieces, I would get a piece of new marine plywood, plane it to the correct thickness (if needed) and glue just your top T&H layer to the top of the new plywood.

Mark

Good idea, thanks!