• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 27 Owners - Where does the galley sink drain go to?

lonokai

Member III
I was onboard this afternoon, still compiling the list of things to do...mostly ensuring all throughhulls are accounted for....

The galley sink drain looks plugged by gunk....but underneath it is obscured by plywood panels on either side. There is what looks like a plugged through hull so I wonder if that used to be the drain. it's directly under the galley sink.

Also, looks like an aftermarket DIY builtin kit...like Isotherm which is not working.

So a couple of questions;

1. Would installing one of those units cause me to want to plug up the drain?
2. If you had this situation, would you repair the builtin kit or just use an engel?

Sorry, I was busy and forgot to take photos....

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Eric,

More than likely the galley sink drain originally connected to the tru-hull directly below the sink. With the wheel model E27 there should be a cockpit supper drain line that tees into that same tru-hull. Where does the sink drain head? There really isn't another (large) tru-hull in that area.

lonokai

Member III
Well, there are three thru hulls under the sink....1 goes to the engine cooling intake.....the other is the sink drain and the third appears to be plugged using some black plastic looking cap. I should've taken photos....

If the cooler/fridge drain was in fact plugged for the DIY built in refrigerator kit, thats fine and I would rather have to fix that than have yet another through hull to worry about corrosion on.

MMLOGAN

Member III
Drain

Eric,

If I remember correctly, the smooth white hose that runs from the bottom of the sink to the thru-hull on the left was the drain. The "plugged" thru-hull on the right looks like it was for a depth sounder. Not where I would expect one but, the remains appear to be from a sounder. Try opening the sea-cock and running a hanger down the sink and see if you hit a clog. You might have something growing on the hull that's plugging up the opening to the deep blue.

Post if pic if that fails.

Best of luck,

lonokai

Member III
OK Everyone, I am officially an idiot. Here's the way the post should have read......with the changes bolded....

I was onboard this afternoon, still compiling the list of things to do...mostly ensuring all through hulls are accounted for....

The COOLER drain looks plugged by gunk....but underneath it is obscured by plywood panels on either side, one underneath the alcohol stove, the other under the sink. There is what looks like a plugged through hull so I wonder if that used to be the drain. it's directly under the galley sink.

Also, looks like an aftermarket DIY builtin (REFRIDGE) kit...like Isotherm which is not working.

So a couple of questions;

1. Would installing one of those FRIDGE units cause me to want to plug up the drain?
2. If you had this situation, would you repair the builtin kit?

Sorry, I was busy and forgot to take photos....

JPS27

Member III
Is there a picture you uploaded? sounds like people are referring to a pic that i don't see. My e27 has three thru hulls in that vicinity: 1) raw water to engine 2) scupper drain thru hull that is tee'd to both portside cockpit drains (on fore and the other aft of the wheel) and 3) a thru hull dedicated to the sink drain. The latter thru hull worries me, seems like there must be a better way than to have one below-water-line hole in my boat dedicated to something relatively rarely used like a sink. I replaced el cheapo black bilge hose that connected the sink to the thru hull with the smooth white hose rated for below waterline and I put multiple clamps on them.

lonokai

Member III
I will take photos when I get down there again.

Also, I checked the plumbing diagram...and its different than most of what I have on my boat.....

lonokai

Member III
Photos:

attachment.php

This is the drain hole from the cooler. I will have to take a bunch of junk out of the cockpit setee and see if I can see anything that leads to this....It appears partially plugged with something...

attachment.php

The one with the smaller hose goes to the engine...the larger white hose is from the Galley sink.

attachment.php

I have no clue what these were for...btw, the smaller one on the left with the corrosion is not hooked up to anything tho it appears to be in the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpg
    IMG_0593.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0597.jpg
    IMG_0597.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 412

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The bottom pic looks like a sonar transducer (for depth) and a paddlewheel (speed through the water). They're not through hull fittings that can be opened and closed.

The icebox drain either goes (or went) to a through hull fitting, or drains (or drained) direct into the bilge.

Access is attained by feel, mirror, or demolition.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Thru Hull?

The ice box drain on my 73' 27 emptied directly into the bilge. Is that a threaded rod sticking up out of that pile of corrosion? Bonding plate perhaps?

lonokai

Member III
Al,
I identified a 1/2" host that is coming from the drain into the SUMP....

I am going to use the cooler for "dry storage" of foodstuffs and bring an Engel fridge/freezer onboard and place it in the aft berth area, since no one will be sleeping there and its used for storage anyway.

I certainly dont like the idea of the cooler draining into the sump....particularly since the PO NEVER drained the darn sump....

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Bilge Pump

I find it rather inconceivable (sp) that your boat left the factory with no manual or electric bilge pump. Others with a more intimate knowledge of how Ericson produced these boats might know differently. How many through hulls do you have on your transom? Are all of them connected to something? Perhaps some tight fisted PO though they could get away with using a Thirsty Mate or some other portable bilge pump and did away with what the factory provided. Nothing wrong with the cooler draining into the bilge with the proper pump in place.

Glyn Judson

Chilling out affordably.

Eric, At best those Engel units are pricey to "Oh my gosh!"! Having never dealt with any of them in their product line, I can't imagine even the smallest not being a power gobbler and certainly not a unit that could be relied upon for even a weekend at Catalina, etc. I if I were faced your situation, I'd be tempted to invest far less money in a big pump of some sort and be content to keep food cold the old fashioned way by using block ice. That's what we've done for years and for that matter, still do because Marilyn even today she supplements our refrigeration with block ice with the drain tube leading to the bilge and never an unpleasant odor. For that matter, our previous boat, our 1979 E25+ was rigged with the ice box drain similarly with similar results. Email me back channel for affordable ideas for different types of big pumps. Glyn

lonokai

Member III
Al

Well, the bilge pump is at the top of the sump area (until I make the modifications to move it), so gallons of water fill the sump before the bilge pump kicks in...

I find it rather inconceivable (sp) that your boat left the factory with no manual or electric bilge pump. Others with a more intimate knowledge of how Ericson produced these boats might know differently. How many through hulls do you have on your transom? Are all of them connected to something? Perhaps some tight fisted PO though they could get away with using a Thirsty Mate or some other portable bilge pump and did away with what the factory provided. Nothing wrong with the cooler draining into the bilge with the proper pump in place.