• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2016 Rendezous @ Maple Bay, July 8 - 10

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As of today, 2-15, we have a commitment for this weekend. For the record, other nearby weekends were unavailable.
Here is today's news from Chas and Judi:

"The only dates Available for Maple Bay Marina are July 8 and 9. Reservations can be phoned in to Cathy @ Maple Bay Marina 250 746 8482. Hilda Harris Eden an E28+ and a E30+ have made their reservations.
Our US friends should make theirs while the loonie is down close to 30%. In the summer as the price of oil goes up I expect our dollar will improve.
See you all soon" Chas and Judi sv-eden@telus.net

I already look forward to happy hour in the covered picnic/meeting area and of course dinner at the Pub!

For those arriving by car or float plane, the marina does have several floating houses to rent. Some research will be needed to see if there are nearby motels, also. (Having only visited once by boat, we are not very familiar with the shoreside area.)

URL: http://www.maplebaymarina.com

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Intuition

Member I
Change of date is great!

Intuition should be able to make these dates. We will make our reservations tomorrow. Will see everybody there. David

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
We will also likely be able to attend that weekend and look forward to seeing everyone again!
Frank & Karen

oregon18

rendezvous

We have made reservations --look forward to meeting fellow Ericson owners

Jim and Gloria Elder
"Gloria Jeanne"

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Rats.

Not going to be able to make the July dates - have a commitment for that weekend.

:(

Intuition

Member I
INTUITION is booked in

INTUITION with David and Diana (and their Westie 'Bonnie') on their E35 MK11 have booked in. See everyone on the 8th of July.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fresh Air, Olson 34, is now registered for Friday and Saturday night and "probably" Sunday as well.

Loren

InSync

Member II
2016 Rendezvous

Well, we were going to be transiting the Panama Canal that weekend, but seeing as how the rendezvous will be held at fabulous Maple Bay, we have decided to divert and will join our fellow Vikings for the weekend instead.

Look forward to seeing everyone!

Helga and Joe

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, it is possible to anchor in Maple Bay as far as I know, but it is not ideal for anchoring. The head of the bay where the Maple Bay Marina is located is somewhat narrow and there were already some boats on a mooring ball there last year. As well, when you anchor out, you miss some of the informal chit/chat among rendezvous participants. But if that's the only way you can attend, there is probably a way to make it work.
We'd love to have you join us!
Frank

InSync

Member II
Rendezvous-anchoring out

I will be there with Cinderella. My question is, is anchoring a possibility in Maple Bay?

-P

also note that they recently (last year) placed buoys restricting the anchorage areas in Maple Bay as it is a very active aerodrome with regular scheduled flights to Vancouver. Between this and the extensive mooring buoys it makes Maple Bay a very tight anchorage indeed. I don't want to dissuade you from attending, but you should be aware of the very real limits on anchoring there. Besides, with your US dollar, just think of the discount you'll be getting on your moorage at the marina! Not to mention the ease of access to party dockside with your fellow Vikings!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
also note that they recently (last year) placed buoys restricting the anchorage areas in Maple Bay as it is a very active aerodrome with regular scheduled flights to Vancouver. Between this and the extensive mooring buoys it makes Maple Bay a very tight anchorage indeed. I don't want to dissuade you from attending, but you should be aware of the very real limits on anchoring there. Besides, with your US dollar, just think of the discount you'll be getting on your moorage at the marina! Not to mention the ease of access to party dockside with your fellow Vikings!

When we visited Victoria in 2014 they had a row of buoys to mark the "run way" for sea planes. Busy place! :0

OTOH, when we were at the dock in Maple Bay there did not seem to be too much of a marked runway, and at least one large boat was anchored in the edge of the (obvious...) sea plane traffic lane -- it looked like the sea planes were putting a wing over that idiot's cockpit on each pass! :)
The boat was not an Ericson and it was obvious the guy should have known better. It's a big inlet, all in all, with quite a few boats anchored or moored. If you look at it on a map or on Google Earth, you will note that an anchored boat might be quite a ways by dinghy-ride from the marina at the end of the harbor where we will be.

Access to the pub and restaurant right at the marina is a nice feature and the showers and laundry room areas were handy and clean -- there is even a small store there. Quite a nice destination really.

Loren

ps: the sea plane landing zone in Fisherman Bay was also obvious enough, with boats anchored pretty close next to the lane.

Last edited:

p.gazibara

Member III
Anchoring

I was just curious, in case they didn't have any room left at the marina.

I recall the buoys marking the runway in Victoria, last time I was there I was sans engine, and I sailed right on past that big sign saying "drop all sails" and right onto the customs dock :0 (it was late, we didn't see the sign in the darkness and fortunately there weren't any planes leaving until the morning). It was the first time I have heard one of those signs, I later saw one on that same trip in False Creek in Vancouver.

What is up with our friends up north and not allowing sailboats to sail?! We race here on lake union and it isn't much bigger than that harbor!

Fortunately its easy to barter beer with the locals for a tow back out.

InSync

Member II
Music preferences for the 2016 Maple Bay Rendezvous

We spent today working on our boat and had dinner at the pub at Maple Bay. In chatting with the proprietor re the upcoming rendezvous, we mentioned how much everyone enjoyed the music in the pub last time. She said she was open to suggestions as she hasn't booked any bands for that weekend. So now's your chance to speak up and let me know what music you might like for the Friday night. No guarantees, but I'll pass along the consensus and see what happens. Sorry Loren, no Beatles tribute music. Apparently that band is booked until August at the moment.

Let us know over the next week and then I'll pass it along.